Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectGeoff Barrow is releasing a hip-hop project via Stones Throw.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2659893
2659893, Geoff Barrow is releasing a hip-hop project via Stones Throw.
Posted by Ghetto Black, Thu Feb-09-12 03:51 PM
http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/album/quakers/quakers

His production aesthetics have always been more dusty than digital...
2659895, i can rock with that n/m
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Feb-09-12 03:53 PM
2659897, nope, shoulda went with madlib invazion (j/k)
Posted by howisya, Thu Feb-09-12 03:55 PM
this project is years in the making, glad to see it's finally coming
2659899, RE: nope, shoulda went with madlib invazion (j/k)
Posted by Ghetto Black, Thu Feb-09-12 03:57 PM
>this project is years in the making, glad to see it's finally
>coming

i had no idea.

at least i don't have to anticipate this for long.
2659903, the lessonhead who started revivalist
Posted by howisya, Thu Feb-09-12 04:07 PM
posted a video of him in the studio recording for this album back around 'third'
2672380, You mean this video??
Posted by Raytard, Mon Mar-12-12 11:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-sigqGnvg

Funny story...Akil (of Jurassic 5) got hit up by Geoff to come through while we were on tour with him in the UK. We went to the studio, Geoff hit us with some beats on the spot and let us pick what we wanted to rock to. It was a really chill and inviting environment....just a bunch of diggers (The Quakers) and us zonin out in the lab.

He let us hold onto the beats. Some of them had vocals on them. "Fitter Happier" just had Guilty's verse on it. Prince Po was on it (as you can tell from the video), and Buff 1.

*Note: As we were finishing up Adrian Utley showed up to lay some bass on some Portishead tracks. Needless to say...EXCITED!!*

Fast forward a couple years, my sis Lyric Jones wanted to do a record with Buff 1, so I told her to hit him up about the Quakers joint because after his verse, the beat just looped for a few minutes...plenty of time to potentially make a jam.

He hit them up, they hit her with a track, and that's how "R.A.I.D." ended up on the record.

This record was really done on some "Oh word? you rap? let me hear something.....that's dope! here's a beat".

So yeah...I can now cross off "end up on a Stones Throw release" from my to do list.

I fuckin LOVE Hip Hop!!

http://revivalist.okayplayer.com/
www.jdillafoundation.org
www.twitter.com/Raydarellis

"Never go full Raytard."-Anfernee
2672390, that's a dope story
Posted by howisya, Mon Mar-12-12 12:12 PM
as many songs as there are on this album, is it possible still more will end up on other people's albums? it sounds like they had beats for days...

and yep, that's the video i meant

looking forward to this album... other than that video, i've heard only one song, but i didn't need to hear or see anything for this to be a must-own album for me
2659902, Sweet (c) Toro Y Moi
Posted by Ishwip, Thu Feb-09-12 04:06 PM

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
2659930, this is highly anticipated
Posted by AlBundy, Thu Feb-09-12 05:47 PM
-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B
2660186, can't wait.
Posted by amplifya7, Fri Feb-10-12 09:54 AM
2671696, It's Out There.. (swipe)
Posted by Original Juice, Fri Mar-09-12 06:17 PM

Anyone who finishes Curtis Hanson’s Oscar-winning 2002 film 8 Mile thinks the same thing: Man, I want to record a hip-hop album. Apparently Geoff Barrow owns that DVD. On April 9th, the Portishead multi-instrumentalist will enter the hip-hop genre with his Quakers project, issuing a self-titled, two-disc effort through Stones Throw Records, as Exclaim points out. No, we’re not making this up.

Under the moniker Fuzzface, Barrow has assembled a rag-tag crew that sports Portishead engineer Stuart Matthews, who will go by 7-Stu-7, and Aussie producer Katalyst (clearly, he already has a name). Outside of the trio, the 41-track effort will feature 35 contributors, which include Guilty Simpson, Aloe Blacc, Dead Prez, Phat Kat, Princo Po, and more. Access Hip Hop also reports that the second disc will feature instrumental versions of the record, which brings the album’s tracklist to an awe-inspiring 82 count. It should be noted that Barrow lifted some of his score for Banksy’s 2010 film, Exit Through the Gift Shop, for this project, too.

So, it’s not a fourth LP by Portishead, but you can’t say you weren’t surprised. Check out the tracklist below, and then stand in front of a mirror for a second screaming, “This is not reality! This is not reality! This is not reality!”
2671882, did you write this? i know (now) it's from consequenceofsound.net
Posted by howisya, Sat Mar-10-12 03:58 PM
i ask because i have a problem with pretty much everything in that writeup and didn't want to say "fuck consequence of sound" if you wrote it
2671916, RE: did you write this? i know (now) it's from consequenceofsound.net
Posted by Original Juice, Sat Mar-10-12 08:36 PM
No.

I swiped it from a swipe on another forum
2672382, A member of PORTISHEAD producing RAP BEATS? UNFATHOMABLE!!!
Posted by stylez dainty, Mon Mar-12-12 12:00 PM
Guess he needs to look in the mirror. Looks like he forgot he was WHITE!!! LOLZ
2681294, huh?
Posted by denny, Tue Apr-03-12 05:02 PM
Who wrote that?

What does 8 mile have to do with anything. What a strangely random and misguided observation.

And obviously, Portishead wasn't too far from hip hop in the first place. I remember hearing 'Dummy' for the first time and thinking they should ditch the singer and get some rhymes on those songs.
2672431, Been looking forward to this for yearrrrrrrs
Posted by entitee, Mon Mar-12-12 01:37 PM
Ever since the first Stephanie McKay album, I've been wanting to hear more Barrow side projects in this style.
http://entitee.com/blog/?p=70
2681144, Hmm...
Posted by amplifya7, Tue Apr-03-12 01:29 PM
The only non-Portishead Geoff Barrow stuff I peeped was BEAK and Anika, neither of which interested me too much...I'm gonna have to go back and check some other stuff...D/ling Quakers and Stephanie McKay right now...I bet The Horrors album he produced is dope
2681199, I know what you mean.
Posted by entitee, Tue Apr-03-12 02:49 PM
Yeah, Beak was zzz for me. The Anika stuff was a little interesting for being odd, but definitely not what I was expecting.

I'm not mad at the Quakers album so far. It does feel like a bit too much (# of songs) but not enough (of the good mcs) because of the mixtape vibe to it.

http://entitee.com/blog/?p=70
2681204, Beak and Anika weren't even wack or anything to me
Posted by amplifya7, Tue Apr-03-12 03:03 PM
I just didn't really get into them or have a desire to give more listens than the 2-3 times i listened, as where i've probably listened to each of the 3 portishead albums 100-200+ times front to back
2681205, side note
Posted by howisya, Tue Apr-03-12 03:04 PM
how many times have you listened to 'out of season'?
2681207, way more than BEAK and Anika
Posted by amplifya7, Tue Apr-03-12 03:07 PM
I do put Out Of Season on once in a while, but rarely have the patience to listen to the entire thing. But I like that album for sure. I should probably give Anika another shot, but I think I listened to BEAK enough times to know I don't really feel like listening to it again
2681215, geoff barrows also produced the horrors' second album
Posted by ninjitsu, Tue Apr-03-12 03:27 PM
an english rock band in the joy division mode

and it was pretty fucking great.
2679587, It's worth having for the instrumentals. None of the rappers come with it.
Posted by CondoM, Thu Mar-29-12 10:08 PM
2681187, Yeah snippets make it sound like the rappers are just *there*
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Apr-03-12 02:24 PM
2683819, man you wasn't kidding - the inst. version is epic compared to the vocal one
Posted by Qwerty Uiop, Mon Apr-09-12 06:15 PM
those have to be the most boring rappers they could find. It's like they're all rapping the same, it's weird. I'm feeling MED & Prince PO but DAMN.
2683965, yep
Posted by Eddy, Tue Apr-10-12 07:18 AM
i'm a big fan of some of the mc's, but still, as a project it just doesn't quite work, too many tracks as well. the instro's are good though, still coulda done with a bit more quality control
2683997, It reminds me of that first Black Keys rap project.
Posted by CondoM, Tue Apr-10-12 09:53 AM
Where Jim fucking Jones of all people was the only one who bothered to rap with a bit of heart.

None of these guys even tried. Prince Po and Buff1 probably had the best verses on the album, but by their standards it wasn't even that good :(

But again, the instrumental version is dope as fuck.
2681228, cannot. wait. to. hear. this.
Posted by Small Pro, Tue Apr-03-12 03:46 PM