Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIs it a bad thing to say that music sounds "dated?"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2659534&mesg_id=2659534
2659534, Is it a bad thing to say that music sounds "dated?"
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Feb-08-12 07:04 PM
I have seen it mentioned on here a few times, but never really saw a debate on it.

I feel that the connotation of the word "dated" can throw some folks off, and many people here seem to take offense when it's used. I feel that a song from 1986 can sound "dated" as in the elements, arrangement, vocals, synths, etc just sound like it was made for that era, and that it probably sounded brand new then....while another song from 86 may still sound modern and translatable throughout eras.

I would also say that most music that is dated has a lesser chance of being enjoyed by younger fans, or even older fans, that weren't into that style of music when it was in it's prime.

How do you feel? Is it wrong to knock a song/artist/album because it sounds dated, whether or not you were into it when it came out?

Give some examples of songs that you feel are dated and not as "timeless"...even if it's newer songs.