Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectlukid, two fingers, pangaea
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2658635&mesg_id=2751691
2751691, lukid, two fingers, pangaea
Posted by bearfield, Fri Oct-26-12 12:33 AM
lukid - lonely at the top

this record sounds like he's been hanging out with actress. it's a natural progression from the 'boxing club' and 'spitting bile' eps which were approaching a dirtier sound than his previous albums. everything is just grimy on this. nice textures. the tracks don't really build to much; they are more like sketches than the full paintings of 'onandon' and 'foma'. i think i like this but i need another listen to discern some of the details i'm sure i missed on the first listen

two fingers - stunt rhythms

*sigh*

i don't think i like this. i don't like where amon tobin has been taking his sound since 'foley room'. this seems like amon taking the sounds from 'isam' and putting his attempt at modern beats under them. there are some unpleasant dubstep-ish sounds on this record. just... bleh. the peedi crack features are a letdown. the whole thing is just kind of boring. '101 south' is a banger though. 'magoo' (which i believe is a reference to the fact that the first two fingers album was heavily referencing timbaland) is good too, as it sounds like like something that could have appeared on 'out from out where'

pangaea - release

talk about going against type. pangaea is clearly trying to distance himself from his (brilliant) previous work. it bears some resemblance, but it really is trying to be more varied than the pangaea ep or his singles. nothing terribly groundbreaking or moving here. 'middleman' is ok. it sounds the most 'pangaea-ish' to me. 'aware' has a nice semi-metalheadz-photek-source-direct feel to it. semi-related: i really wish i could find 'you + i' on vinyl. that song still gives me goosebumps