Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: 2012 Electronic/Instrumental/Beat Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2658635&mesg_id=2748094
2748094, RE: 2012 Electronic/Instrumental/Beat Post
Posted by ajiav, Fri Oct-12-12 09:35 PM
Kay Suzuki - Consciousness

A couple years old but mostly overlooked, I think - in the area of soulful house/"nujazz"/broken beat, synth-y english-style dance/soul. A nice listen if you like this kind of thing, colonel red on some, which gives a frame of reference in terms of the early 2000s BITA-and-related influences. Sort of in the shadow of those, but doesn't bother me as I like that kind of thing.

Si Tew - When the Clouds Ran Away

Came out last year on an Atjazz imprint, another UK guy who seemingly came up under the influence of the early 2000s london stuff, e.g. Pete Simpson appears on a track - and similarly I haven't heard much about it, just kind of found these looking through discogs/juno. A little more 'electronic' textured than the Kay Suzuki, ---presuming here that Kay Suzuki is a little 'warmer' a la house music's leanings.

Part-Time Heroes - Lightfalls

More of the downtempo/'nujazz' type stuff, but utilizing more traditional instrumentation a la some aspects of 4Hero - strings, live drum sounds, etc. - but not more Stepney-mimicry. Electronics is in the production style, keys. A cohesive 'album' - mix of melancholic vocal tracks and interesting/appealing instrumentals, some of those in the kind of transmuted jungle that fits so well in this context. Probably the closest thing to a great album I've heard lately, very strong at the least. Color scheme of the cover art is faded browns/oranges, non-distinct landscapes - autumnal in mood, which suits the tone of the music -- very good for our current season.