Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectnot just the 'oontz'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2656823&mesg_id=2656949
2656949, not just the 'oontz'
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Feb-02-12 10:40 AM
but the "LCD" R&B that in the decade prior, sounded like like a "showtunes" revue of The Chronic...

thankfully the one who waved that particular flag proudly and most prominently in the decade prior (Kellz) is now off that after so long.

I don't have THAT high a hope in this particular climate for a D'Angelo studio comeback to change the face of R&B. But I think if he makes something honest and it's promoted well... he'll get a lot of people lookin'. Like you said, he has a real uphill battle.

In a way he kind of reminds me of Jesse Johnson w/o the obsession for his chosen instrument. Obv. D'Mumblo ain't seeing Jesse's portfolio as for what he's done in his career but the way they drop off for a LONG time then drop back on like nothing really changed...

Revising what I said earlier in the thread, I think that D'Angelo missed his chance to STOMP on the competition, but there's no way he missed his chance to get his place at the table.

I admit, outside of the singles and a few album cuts (and his guest appearances on OKArtists records and the remixes DJ Premier and Dilla did for dude) I'm vastly unfamiliar with his catalog... I had my head way up my ass when all them acts were hot and burning up the scene back then. Though, I know what the dude represented. Though there were more prolific artists (who most importantly, stayed the course in D's absence)... I think he is certainly the face of the "neo soul" era of R&B.

that's a heavy mantle to hold. and when you vacate it? shit.