Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI have probably run this example into the ground
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2656823&mesg_id=2656924
2656924, I have probably run this example into the ground
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Feb-02-12 10:05 AM
but one of the best examples was The Time (Original 7ven) last year.

no one knew what to expect.
even with the track record of Jam & Lewis.
even with Jesse's latest record being a good indication of what might appear.
even with their legendary live shows.

there were just so many factors in the 21 years that had passed since their last record as a group, not to mention the whole "no Prince involvement, name change legalese" stuff hanging over their heads.

and yet, I think they made one of the best comebacks of any artist I have heard. even factoring out the severely lowered expectations... they made a (critical) (St/f)an very happy with what turned out. Just about everyone else who doesn't have their noses deep in Purple Kool-Aid and knew of the band felt the same.

whatever comes of this, I think D'Mumblo is going to make his fans very happy, and gain quite a few new ones. With these live shows, he already has, IMO.

He represents a lot to people of a certain age. I don't think he really missed his time, because when "Brown Sugar" dropped, he was certainly the right kind of artist making the right kind of music for that era.

The only thing about him is that, I think he bought into that "messiah" hype and felt like a failure not being able to live up to it. I think the kind of music he makes stands well enough on its own that he really doesn't have to worry about being a savior, but maybe he never did.

All he gotta do is just go out there and be D. And the people will love him. You can't really say you've failed when you have a built-in fanbase.