Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjective not heard voodoo bootlegs in about 10 years
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2656042&mesg_id=2656881
2656881, ive not heard voodoo bootlegs in about 10 years
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Feb-02-12 05:31 AM
but my experience of being at the show - amazing, awe inspiring, i am in the presence of greatness - was never quite the same as when listening to cds of the shows, which sound strangely devoid of real tension, which you get from old prince or JB bootlegs. theres something missing, and i cant put my finger on it, but its prob just the usual dangelo thing - too much of a studied homage to the greats' to ever really cut loose from all that baggage. technically its amazing though. and it sounds immaculate too. and i think hes too obsessed with changing the old songs around unnecessarily. lady never sounded right funked up. im not sure brown sugar did either.

i prefer the jazz cafe recording, with the EWF cant hide love cover (which has one of the all time best dangelo vocals). it sounds more like dangelo doing dangelo.

actually i think that might be it. i think like alicia keys, who has also tried to be an 'entertainer, even though both give it a really, REALLY good shot, hes just not that kind of guy, hes more of a sit down and play the music kind of performer.