Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectStevie B and Egyptian Lover have both talked about their
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2656042&mesg_id=2656533
2656533, Stevie B and Egyptian Lover have both talked about their
Posted by Artful Dodger, Wed Feb-01-12 11:42 AM
love for Prince. Pretty common knowledge.

"Let's chill on the revisionism here before we start claiming that Prince also composed "eine kleine nachtmusik" and painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel too,"

If you can't immediately see the effect Prince had on them I don't know what to tell you.

"Expose/Stevie B and stuff like that came from a different place altogether... not from Prince. Stevie B came from NYC freestyle which was an offshoot of disco, hip-hop and Latin music. Expose was Hi_NRG which came from freestyle and other post-disco pop coming from the UK gay clubs."

Two different arguments - being influenced by and coming from are two different posts. NO?

"Other than that, I'm agreeing with a lot that you've said (though I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't call WC out for making a bogus statement like the only 2 original performers have been JB and Hendrix. For REALS?)"

Actually I did. Re-read what I wrote.

>Hendrix
>Sly
>Prince
>James - these were artists who not only worked hard in the
>studio but on stage. They took chances. They were not afraid
>to fail publicly. D'ngelo's career will be 20 years long in
>just a few years. 3 albums to credit? Hopefully 3 really good
>albums - but still apples and oranges.

"Bingo on the artists who took chances... That's exactly what I've been saying for years, that I'm disappointed that D had to be so insecure and scared to just DO his shit rather than worrying about it."

I mean sure - but it's also safe to Say if D'angelo isn't a chance taker then so be it - not a slight against him in anyway.

"
Also: let's be aware of the fact that D has not released a third album yet and I don't think we should even factor that in until he actually puts it out. I've heard all the "D's album is 98% finished talk, but I also heard the exact same thing back in 2004. So until that album is officially released, I can only say that he's made 2 albums in 17 years."

Even when it's done it won't get that 'legendary' stamp of approval cause 3 albums in 20 years is just lazy by comparison to anyone on that list. 1 album per decade as oppossed to Prince who will give you ten plus albums per decade.

>Now I agree Kap is the master of revisionism - lol
>can't lie. But I'm saying...?

"Whatever. I back all my shit up (or at least the majority of my shit) with facts. Whether you guys choose to accept these facts or willfully close your eyes because you prefer to believe some other fantasy... that's on you."

Your idea of facts are not quite the same as anyone else's.
I'll just leave it there.

Listening to records and forming opinions are not facts my man.