Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis is true - but Prince is a legendary guitarist
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2656042&mesg_id=2656381
2656381, This is true - but Prince is a legendary guitarist
Posted by Artful Dodger, Wed Feb-01-12 02:46 AM
may not be the fairest example.

Let's consider that this performance took place the year of Prince's first album release - it would only make sense to be influenced.

"from the guitar solos to what Prince is wearing.....to the guitar itself...to the stage lighting..."

Agreed - not to mention his JB influences, Sly... sure
but you see we are discussing a guitarist who arguably could give Eddie Hazel a run for his money so again. I mean but let's not lose even a proper comparison it wasn't funkadelic who influenced him it was Santana.

"When you reach to that level of greatness....you're gonna resemble the great ones that did it before you...."

Level of greatness is really subjective here.

"I think if D'Angelo had put out more material over the years...sure he would have had some things that would have distinguished him more....but I certainly think he's..even with the layoff remained above his peers....hell, nobody has even tried to put a funky concert tour on like that since Voodoo...muthafukkas is lip syncing and dat playing they asses off right now..lol. Doing Cirque De soleil shit on stage and shit.....lol. "

True there are many still getting away with getting a check off of horrible backing tracks, gospel musicians disguised as r&b bands, and choreographers lol but several things.

He hasn't released more material and that would have been great and who knows - he's alive and well so we shall It's really not true that others havent been bringing it - again the Voodoo album is subjective territory.

Eryka
Anthony Hamilton
Maxwell
Sade
Mechelle
Mint Condition
Raphael Saadiq

and many others have all brought it and been bringing it both live and on record.

You cannot call legendary status if you ask me, off of two albums.
That's premature. 12 years for one album? Not even fair to bring up names like Prince and JB, both who worked tirelessly both in terms of releases and live shows. It's apples and oranges.

"I see your point..but to me there really have only been 2 live performers that at their best were totally original and that's James Brown and Jimi Hendrix....(I would say P-Funk but I think Pfunk was PURPOSELY a manifestation of various styles that proceeded them...done in a super unique and ground breaking way) Other then them everybody is rockin it like somebody else...Unique, yet conjuring spirits past..."

They might have not been completely original but they at least took what was before them to another level.

Prince. Was he directly influenced by Sly's studio work and James live show? Yes, what he did differently was he took those elements and ushered them into the electronic era, both in studio and stage.

"I've never been mad at D'Angelo for that....because I'm gonna roll with the guy who is doing it the RIGHT way when er'body else around him is faking and fabricating shit...."

I hear you but there is some fabrication in this as well. Going thru the process is great, however the results are really the issue. I liked the Voodoo album - but I think we can all listen to that album and never once think James Brown or Prince. We shouldn't have to. We should just enjoy it. This need to apply 'legendary' status to a career of 2, soon to be 3 albums - when your naming names like

Hendrix - who's solo career was 4 years long - look what he accomplished?
Prince - who in ten years, released 10 albums under his name
3 under the time
1 under the family
1 under vanity 6
1 under appollonia 6
3 under madhouse
1 under Jill Jones
produced countless other artists from Stevie Nicks to The Bangles
not to mention two albums shelved (The Rebels - Dream Factory)
one triple album reduced (Crystal Ball)
and another bootleg that would be considered the most bootlegged album of all times (The Black Album).

You have to be kidding me.

directly influenced the underground electronic movement from Egyptian Lover to Xpose to Stevie B.

directly influenced the way r&b was being recorded and performed.

His production would then change not only black music but influence, new wave, electronica, pop - to the point it can be felt today in every popular artist from Rihanna to The Dream to Drake.

In none of those records are covers. All originals mind you.
For ten years to date Prince only covered two songs live that I can think of Joni's "Case of You" 1983 and "Superbad" 1986.

That's how strong that man worked.

James? Even twice as much when you consider how often he toured.

History and facts alone doesn't support this argument and it's so unnecessary.

I can enjoy D's performances and should w/o name dropping names that were not only powerhouses but prolific.

When you say

Hendrix
Sly
Prince
James - these were artists who not only worked hard in the studio but on stage. They took chances. They were not afraid to fail publicly. D'ngelo's career will be 20 years long in just a few years. 3 albums to credit? Hopefully 3 really good albums - but still apples and oranges.

And that's no slight on D, that's more than fine with me. I'm more than happy with just that - yet that is exactly why I won't compare him to anyone, just let it live on it's own two legs.

Now I agree Kap is the master of revisionism - lol
can't lie. But I'm saying...?

I'm no D hater btw and I agree with you almost 99 percent of the time - this is the only time we haven't seen eye to eye.

btw I actually like this tour better.