Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthere is hope for Israel/Palestine - Agreed...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2656042&mesg_id=2656107
2656107, there is hope for Israel/Palestine - Agreed...
Posted by Artful Dodger, Tue Jan-31-12 02:52 PM
in fact I'm surprised no one realized this.

To me the way people reacted to that tour wasn't because they were dope and the show was dope

it was because the option was Justin Timberlake spinning in circles and doing his worst Mj performance (another motherfucker who has no rhythm and cannot dance).

It's like black folks forgot themselves.

"and this one also... is the man holding down the bottom end.

Pino Palladino is a great bass player and seems like a lovely bloke, but I'm sorry: He is not funky at all. I felt he held the band back on Voodoo, and was one of the biggest obstacles to D making the kind of legit funk he seemed to aspire for."

Yep - exactly. His touch is like a jazz player but honestly I would even go as far as to say light-KennyG Jazz... maybe fusion cause there is some Jaco there but Pino is not funky. Steeley Dan record - sure - James Brown covers - NO.

"When this new tour was announced, I was surprised that Pino was invited back."

Wow you are in my head.

"I mean, I'm sure there's a real personal--and even musical--bond there, but I think that as long as Pino is there, D is not gonna be truly funky."

Yeah I'm with you. People seem to think yelling, skips, 4/4, and layers upon layers of backup vocals and James Brown-alike covers equates to funk or black music from the past. They forget something very important - those funk bands

Lived together
came up together
toured endlessly together

so their songs may have had simple arrangemens, but the chops were air tight - like knowing when the next person will breathe.

That's also the case with non-funk bands like Led Zep and the Beatles.

And... even the Revolution. Sure Gayle, Andre' left after the Dirty Mind tour but basically it was the same core of musicians. Beyond their musicianship - familiarity played a role in their sound.

D's attempt at funk has only fully been realized on record - to me.

"(The little bit of the "Lady Cab Driver" stuff I heard didn't sound too bad, though... but that was more in the guitars)"

I didn't hear that - but that's a great song. One of the things that makes Prince a great songwriter are his arrangements.

That's a perfect song to use too - here you have a simple groove, nothing crazy. Just air tight on the one.

I have heard horrible cover bands sound great with that one.

I just personally think D should just worry about being D.

When he does that he's just incredible.

Like I pointed out that Piano set. Honestly if that were the tour itself - could you imagine? Would be great. But D fans are happy he's back and even if that means work out the kinks publicly.