Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMan Voodoo was an overratted show - the work ups fo the songs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2656042&mesg_id=2656075
2656075, Man Voodoo was an overratted show - the work ups fo the songs
Posted by Artful Dodger, Tue Jan-31-12 01:45 PM
were not good - to me so if James Brown was the mark..

no sir...

D'angelo is a wonderful crooner/piano player

I don't get that funk from him.

But I like this tour more actually.

There were moments with the Voodoo tour like One Mo Gin and Untitled but Voodoo struck me as an excercise in Prince fans living out their ultimate Prince/James Brown fantasies. Which to me just didn't kick. You gotta be able to dance and D cannot dance, Pino is not funky to me (reminds me more of a jazz bassist). Quest was always in the pocket tho and honestly I felt he defined the band.

This tour I appreciate more actually cause it's more about the music - despite the fact that this band is not as good as the Voodoo band and somewhat sloppy at times. Jefflee is a bad choice despite his history w OKP and honestly I wonder why Jj left - ? If it's not to make up w The Time and get it going again - it could be one or two things

A) rumor has it Jj put his beef aside and will be playing Guitar with Prince (in some fashion - whew)
B) this band just wasn't cutting it for Jessie.
C) or it could just be a family emergency

I agree with your view however which is why I thought Quest comparing this tour to Eddie Hazel or whomever was unfair to D'angelo and just not true. Why lie and put that man up to a standard he can't live up to? Isn't this how we got to the 12 year penalty break?

D'angelo is a basic guitar player - nothing special there.

But D'angelo doesn't need to be Prince - he's D'angelo and I like him just fine being that.
Just like Prince will never be D'angelo.

He's an amazing singer, his voice is the best I have ever heard it and when he sits down and plays piano - man, it's great.

Frank Zappa aint got a damn thing to worry about after that guitar solo. That was a Lil Wayne solo. Lol.

Although -

Donna Hathaway may have alot to worry about tho - D playing at the Piano was by far the highlight of this tour and should have been the tour.

Plus Another Life is just simply a gorgeous piece of work.

I'm not a D'angelo fan like most OKPs are but Another LIfe is by far my favorite song from him. Ever.

I like this tour - I feel like some moments are the first time we have witnessed the real D'angelo - like the piano set.

Not Chris Brown doing Mj
Not D'angelo doing Prince/James.

Just D, being an amazing singer that he is.