Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Good news. expected and....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2655931&mesg_id=2655967
2655967, RE: Good news. expected and....
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Jan-31-12 10:14 AM
I hear you - something that's great in concept but perhaps, in the end, not all that useful. The quantity will almost certainly be overwhelming... though maybe some enterprising listener will make a good guide (paging lonesome, ahem...)...

Ives Concord performances I like:
- Pierre-Laurent Aimard... it's a little, um, conservative in approach, but it was the first one I heard and so it's stuck with me... available on an Ives disc he did w/Susan Graham, I think

- I actually *just* got a copy Jeremy Denk's new recording, which I've enjoyed quite a bit.

- Marc-Andre Hamelin - this is probably one of the more famous recordings at this point, and it's packaged with a wonderful performance of Barber's piano sonata, so bonus

All 3 of these are easy to get... there are some wonderful performances on vinyl but I think they're mostly OOP. (If this answer seems too long, keep in mind that I've been collecting Ives lps at maximum speed over the past few months, lol...)

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~