Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIllmatic was a Gold record in an era with a lotta platinum ones
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2654457&mesg_id=2656275
2656275, Illmatic was a Gold record in an era with a lotta platinum ones
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-31-12 08:26 PM
it didn't get over on being an embodiment of youth culture or articulating a generation's voice (note: I am out of the demo to determine whether Kendrick's album does this & as a result I'm not sure I care about that).

Illmatic got to the level it's at because Nas was a rhyming prodigy & he got assists from some of that era's best NYC producers to make a great album.

An album far greater than Section 80 (which is still pretty damn great, on the short list for rap album of 2011 for my ears).

But you falling into a 'this generation can't have an Illmatic' then in the same breath equating Illmatic to Thriller & The Cosby Show is a false premise that indicates you might not have been alive or old enough to remember how big/important/widespread those things were.

Comparing Illmatic to Thriller in terms of the public conciousness is far more disingenous than someone comparing Section 80 to Illmatic.