Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI think F&L embodies what goes on with today's gen....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2654457&mesg_id=2655891
2655891, I think F&L embodies what goes on with today's gen....
Posted by phemom, Tue Jan-31-12 01:58 AM
The beginning with the homage to the early 00's music w/the I'm from the hood and I'm gon make it themes.

"Kick Push" and "I Gotcha" being the extremes of what younger hip-hop fans consider commercial. The ladder would be more effective if it had a better beat but it's basically nerdy swag music.

"The Instrumental" is how hip-hop can mix with the Linkin Park/RadioHead/Portishead sounds...after this a lot of people opened up their rap minds to try to listen to something different.

"He Say/She Say" everyone relates to bad parenting...

"Sunshine" is where things get different from Section:80. Whereas Kendrick gives off the vibe that he can "get bitches", Lu in this song (and "and he gets the girl" which this song prolly replaced) shows that he isn't invincible amongst women...he's nervous and unsure, but he tries and succeeds. That is more relatable (not a word) than any Lamar girl song yet.

"Daydreaming" doesn't fit the album really and caters to nerds more than everyone else. It doesn't fit my argument either.

"The Cool" "American Terrorist" and "Hurt Me Soul" has the feel that Lu knows that you know what he's talking about (which this gen does...they know about death & racism) but you don't FEEL it enough.

"Pressure" doesn't fit....if he was gonna do a song with Jay-Z he should've did a new one.

"The Emperor's Soundtrack" is a posse cut that you can feel about you and your crew. This song much like the rest of the LP gives the feel that you lived just what Lu did, musically & message wise.

This isn't to discredit Lamar's work at all...it's a great tape. I just don't think you get a Section:80 without a "Food & Liquor"