Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I discredit you
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2654457&mesg_id=2655235
2655235, RE: I discredit you
Posted by lakai336, Sun Jan-29-12 02:59 PM
Funny part is not at any point in there did I say people who don't like Drake are "losers." I simply stated why his little "don't get pussy" jab was justified. As when I'm not in the mood to troll, I can be an adult, I'll admit on the "Take Care" thread and the Drake vs Common threads I was being a dickhead and trying to offend people. Not too proud or full of shit to deny that. But on this particular post, I didn't even take that route.

I get annoyed about any mainstream act catching flack because he's mainstream. Drake is just one of plenty I can go on about. The majority of people who discredit him fall into two categories.

1. People who have never listened to a Drake song with an open mind and already decided they'd hate everything about this guy from the first time "Best I ever had" blared out of a radio within their hearing limits.

2. People who pretend they don't like Drake because he's "soft" and a "Pussy" but like true sheep and hypocrites like lesser known acts with a similar style. They have identity issues and care so much about being "real" hip-hop fans that they can't ever like anything that doesn't fit into the approved "real" hip-hop mentality. Nothing that charts at a high position (post internet-era) fits that mentality. Most of us outgrew this mentality in high school and don't feel the need to carry it on as adults. That's my beef. Not Drake hating. My beef is simplistic people who still feel like they have to be true to some corny non-existent lifestyle even well into adulthood. Teenagers form cliques, adults from individual opinions.

Drake very rarely tries to be hard. You don't listen to Drake (clearly) so you wouldn't know that. Thus the 2pac thing is out the window. And to show you how the sheep work, half your favorite rappers who talk hard are lying. People don't say shit about that.

As for the whole disrespecting women, again you don't listen to Drake. He's among the few to have the balls making an ENTIRE song (not just a couple of lines) propping up women. He usually talks ill of them when he's doing that whole venting talking about women I know kind of shit. If you really got all nerdy and did a count, I guarantee he'd have more pro-women lines than 90% of rappers, regardless of amount of disrespectful lines. There's hypocrisy there too, 'cause a ton of underground rappers get passes on all of their contradictions.

And to please you, I can say plenty of things I don't like about Drake. I wouldn't pretend he's an extremely good MC (many of his contemporaries are miles ahead of him in that department). I never watch music videos nor read interviews, just listen to the music (cause yeah, his image certainly can be annoying).

So dig deeper if you want. But that's it. I'm not calling anybody "losers" I'm just past that whole allegiance to real hip-hop. I got an allegiance to my own individual preferences and that's about it.