Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHe's absolutely right.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2654457&mesg_id=2654540
2654540, He's absolutely right.
Posted by blueeclipse, Fri Jan-27-12 02:19 PM
I was shocked at just how much he was able to capture the mindstate and the influence that has shaped that age group. I was talking to one of my friends the other day about it. It used to be that a generation was relatable in experiences and influence almost 10 years backwards but now that window is closer to 5 years. I'm 28 and while I personally can see where Kendrick is coming from, my own personal experiences aren't as relatable.

But you take a 22 YO or a 24 YO who aren't a whole lot younger than I am, and you get an almost different set of values and vices. The last decade weve seen and incredible paradigm shift as far as how we grow as people.

When I graduated High School in 2001, we barely were texting each other and the internet was still getting its legs because there wasnt widespread high speed networking yet. There was no Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube. It was also early in the Bush administration and 9/11 and the subsequent events following that hadn't happened yet. The world was a different place when I was still in High School. There wasnt this distrust and hopelessness and apathy that a lot of kids have today. A kid graduating High School just 4 years later in 2005 has a very different world view coming into the world than someone like myself. We can relate, but at the core we came to relate about ourselves and the outside world in different ways.

As soon as I got finished listening to Section.80 I knew Kendrick had accomplished something very special and very relevant. He managed to speak to his own generation and those outside of it too if they're paying attention.