Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYou don't deserve it, but here's a serious reply
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2651634&mesg_id=2651803
2651803, You don't deserve it, but here's a serious reply
Posted by dalecooper, Sun Jan-22-12 02:37 PM
You're doing this forum a disservice by trying to shut down discussion that way. There's a whole lot of white people that post here because they love listening to and talking about black music (meaning: music that is either played by black musicians, or genres of music that came out of black culture, or both - usually both). If we're not allowed to have dissenting opinions on black musicians SIMPLY BECAUSE WE'RE WHITE, then honestly we may as well walk the fuck out right now. And I know you wouldn't particularly miss me (even though you don't know me from Adam). But personally, I feel this forum is dead enough as it is, and overrun enough with the same tired shit (did we determine if Nas lost yet? No? Maybe another Odd Future thread, or is that too 2011?), that we shouldn't be chasing away any people that love music and want to talk about it in depth.

Yeah I'm a white guy. But the majority of the music I listen to is played by black musicians, and I have no trouble acknowledging a lot of genres as fundamentally black art forms. I know where rock 'n roll came from. I don't really even listen to much classic rock, but if I do it's about as likely to be Jimi as the Stones. Personally though, most days I'd rather listen to hip hop, dancehall, or jazz. Almost every musician I obsess over is black. So why am I a racist just because I don't think Prince is all that amazing on guitar specifically - never mind that I own like ten of his albums and love his songs? I mean really. All you see is that I don't love one solo he played and that's it, conversation over, I'm obviously a racist. GTFOWTBS.