Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI read what you wrote and chose to riff off of howisya's post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2650942&mesg_id=2652495
2652495, I read what you wrote and chose to riff off of howisya's post
Posted by Ishwip, Tue Jan-24-12 11:43 AM
>You obviously didn't read anything I wrote, and trends in
>digital music consumption support what I'm saying as well. If
>it were as simple as free vs. not free these companies would
>have gone out of business years ago. AND that wasn't even the
>point. The point is the countless gigabytes of legitimate
>files and the sharing capability that has been lost because a
>few companies decided they didn't like how some people used a
>business. why does one business get to shut down another?
>banks can't shut down gun companies because people can rob
>banks with guns, they just have to buy safes, better alarms,
>etc.

The "more effective digital distribution" talking point seems to come up more and more now and I don't know, I think it's yet another convenient, kinda smart-sounding argument that means what exactly?

Make every change you want and tell me how the consumer gets what they want while appropriate parties get financial compensation?

I'm sorry, but a GANG of folks want a model where they get it for free. Amazon, itunes, etc. have shown that you CAN get a lot of people to pay for digital files, but just as many want to continue getting free stuff*.

As for your comments above, I'm curious what the ratio of legitimate-to-illegal files is with these sites? And even if the ratio did swing wildly towards illegal files, you ask a good question as to whether that still justifies shutting them down because people use it to share illegal stuff.

*I do it, not saying I don't, but it's not because I found the distribution ineffective so I was "forced" to steal it lol. NOT saying that's your position, but I've read folks essentially arguing that people would LOVE to pay for the stuff they've been stealing but they're left no choice because the way digital content is sold and distributed isn't meeting their needs. C'mon, man.
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)