Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Megaupload Shut Down by feds (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2650942&mesg_id=2652457
2652457, RE: Megaupload Shut Down by feds (swipe)
Posted by stone_phalanges, Tue Jan-24-12 09:15 AM
I don't think shutting down file/video sharing is what needs to be done here. I'm not defending copyright infringement but these companies should focus on effective ways of distributing the content digitally rather than exploiting the legal system to break the portions of the internet that they don't like.

I buy music and I also download a lot of it for free. However, if I never downloaded stuff for free there are tons of artists that I would have never listened to at all. I love hip hop so that stuff was gonna be copped regardless but with a limited budget I'm not going to be as adventurous with my musical habits. If I download something and find an artist that I really like, I'll be honest I don't always buy that album that I downloaded, but I do support from then on because I'm a fan.

The internet leveled the playing field so content creators couldn't take advantage of their customers anymore. You could argue that if they created the content then it's their right to take advantage if they want but if it's wrong to rob big companies the right to distribute content however they want and charge whatever they want then it's just as wrong to make file sharing an unsustainable business just because it affects your business negatively. Not every business has the staff or ability to police their sites content like Google does.