Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI agree and disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2650942&mesg_id=2651120
2651120, I agree and disagree
Posted by BigReg, Fri Jan-20-12 09:45 AM
I do think if a distribution model is shitty enough where the 'free' version is more appealing, you really can't blame the thief. Obviously something you don't have to pay for will always win out versus something you do, but because they were so resistant to the new models that people are used to skirting the system because it took them a decade to catch up. I mean, I don't think anyone really wants to hit the filestube, risk adware, mistype the capcha five times, wait a minute to download it, praying the file is the right one, and take a die roll on the quality.

The problem is that 1)as fucked up as it is, the above is sometimes easier then purchasing it online(even in 2012, lol), and 2)Pricing really hasn't stabilized on the various mediums...at times the PHYSICAL media is actually cheaper then the digital versions, lol.

Everyone wants to point towards the down loaders as if they are an amoral shoplifters, but I don't think that is the case. There's a reason why everyone simply stopped paying for music/movies etc, and the fact that they are 'free' imho doesn't completely cover it...not by a long shot.