Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject..........................
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2649927&mesg_id=2650895
2650895, ..........................
Posted by cjr2221, Thu Jan-19-12 02:24 PM
>So?
----
So, you insinuated that I was mindlessly force fed Drake. Wrong.
I was introduced Drake by my brother before he blew up.

>And yea, KRS could be said that he is to hip-hop what Stevie was to >Motown. KRS is a legend whether you like him or not and he has made >timeless music.
-----------------
I never discredited KRS's importance. You sir are the person who first mentioned Drake. You started this exchange. I gave KRS props.

>Speaking of term, I don't like Termanology either. Although I will >say he has suprised me at times with his wordplay and delivery which >is a lot more than I can say about your hero.
-----------
Drake isn't my hero, he's not even in my top 10 favorite rappers OF THE MOMENT.

>You actually were never like me because you are like 16 years old and >really don't have a clue about anything we're discussing. If you paid >attention, I don't like any specific type of hip-hop.
--------------------
I'm older than that. Paid attention to what? you're attacks at me. You've never explained or discussed your taste in Hip-Hop you just attacked mine.

>I like quality music that isn't forced or gimmick driven. I >appreciate you telling me how to shed my shell too. Since you know, I >probably have listened to a wider variety of everything than most >people.
--------------------------------
How is Drakes music forced? Oh wait I get it; you just hate whatever's popular/on the radio. I was like /that/ to once.

What's is Drakes gimmick?

I'm pretty sure you haven't listened to a wider variety of everything that most people, or me rather.

>Haven't heard that one...but as a whole, I'm not a fan of the screw >tapes from what I've heard.
------------------------------
I weep for you.

>sure...I like a lot of Southern music. I actually was looking at it >the other day and I like a lot more hip-hop from the South than from >the West.
-------------------------
You say you listen to a wider variety of artists than most. You barely even scratch the surface of Southern Hip-Hop.

You listed the Carter 2 really? lol. There's so much more than that.
Freddie Gibbs??? -_-.....

>LOL @ my true colors. as if liking Screw certifies you as a true hip->hop fan or something. if you like Drake "sonically" then you like >wack shit.
----------------------
I think good music is good music, and regardless of genre etc. someone who loves good music can appreciate any type of good music.
The fact that there's an entire niche within Hip-Hop that you by your own admission haven't delved into shows me you haven't reached........ idk self-actualization (as far as one's journey into being a fan of music is concerned.)

>It's one line...and like you're focusing on Stevie above, you seem >not understand the concept of an example. because there are plenty >other lines I can quote...I am just lazy and went for the easy one. >But you can't fault me for that because I'm talking to someone who is >resorting to terms like "backpacker" siting artists like Termanology >and claiming I must only like Outkast from the South. It's also >hilarious when people mention those smart guy.
----------------------
Here's the good part find me more examples of Drake putting on his fake tough guy act. It baffles me that Drake get's criticized for doing in some lines, what most MC's do with their ENTIRE CAREER's. That, is acting tough.

>He actually is both and that is what is see-through about him. he has >no real identity. he is trying to be all of those things and it ALL >comes off fake. since you know, you didn't understand what I meant >when I said "see-through." and my point is that if you think Drake is >an honest artist then I simply have to laugh at you because you can't >see-through the fake shit he is doing.
------------------------
You, I'm sure, haven't explored Drakes discography. Well good sir, if you did you'd discover he has very little material about catching bodies/toe tagging/mafioso-themes in general. I actually off the top of my head can't even think of a single song that solely focuses on any of those themes.

But, because of that famously quoted "catch a body like that" line he is suddenly a fake thug.

This really speaks to the greatness of Drake. With one incredibly powerful line he has defined himself in the eyes of many, that he sang might I add. That's ill./sarcasm

How can someone who doesn't listen to an artist, define that artists identity.

>Maybe it's just me, but I tend to buy MOP's tough talk and >"representation" of being a product of their environment more than >Drake.
-------------------
Just like Nas right (my favorite rapper)? Or how about Raekwon?
Yeah Raekwon was that nigga in the streets.

>Simmer down youngin'
-------------

>Maybe...maybe not. But if you understood hip-hop at it's foundation >then you wouldn't respect gimmicky artists like Drake and Rick Ross.
--------------------------------------
Ugh, you're problem is you're way to idealistic about this shit, and I think it's because you're white. No racism.

You been listening to way to much KRS-One. This whole idea of Hip-Hop being this sacred institution, consisting of B-Boys/DJ's/MC is retarded in 2011. There are NO RULES TO HIP-HOP. It's about rapping to your fans/making good albums/making money. You can grab the mic and lie all you want, If you're skilled/and make a connection with me, I'll buy your album.

I like Rick Ross, I like Drake. That doesn't mean I don't understand Hip-Hop. Because I still listen to Paid in Full. I still love Krush Groves.

>And what I am telling you is that it will "click" with you when you >realize Drake is not good by any means.
---------------------------------------

You sir are not the barometer for what is and isn't good music. Hate to break it to you. If you were you'd probably know how to make good music. #ouch

So, in your eyes I'm under some kind of illusion; and I'm simply confused in thinking that Drake has any ounce of talent wtf? really?
Sit Down Man.

The Drake hate is very trivial to me. He's like the ideal artist.
To me he's the guy that bridges the gap, it's something that a serious music listener like myself and a Top-40 listeners like my sister.