Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI hope I passed your test
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2649927&mesg_id=2650872
2650872, I hope I passed your test
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Jan-19-12 01:21 PM
>No one fed me Drake, I found out about him on my own from the
>internet. I wasn't listening to the radio etc. music isn't
>force fed to me.
>

So?

>Stevie Wonder makes awesome music. Did I ever compare Drake to
>Stevie Wonder?
>

No you didn't...and if you were a little more intelligent, you wouldn't be focusing on Stevie Wonder and would understand he is an example of good music. I could've named any one there but he popped into my head.

>No lol. I don't understand your point. Do you really think
>anything KRS has made can stand up to anything Stevie Wonder
>has made? FOH. I don't even know why you brought Stevie into
>this convo.
>

Of course you don't understand...you're still stuck on Stevie Wonder who actually has nothing to do with this. And yea, KRS could be said that he is to hip-hop what Stevie was to Motown. KRS is a legend whether you like him or not and he has made timeless music.

>I do understand that you're probably an old, grumpy
>backpacker. You shit on Drake while blasting Termanology and
>other stale/dry/bland throw back to 90's "real" Hip-Hop. But,
>it's alright to.. loosen up. I was like you once. If it wasn't
>90's and grimy/hardcore or Common Sense. I didn't want to hear
>it, but once you shed that shell an entire world of music will
>open up to you.
>

See this is where you young dudes get loud and wrong. I actually am far from a "backpacker" even though I know it must've made you feel good to use that term. Speaking of term, I don't like Termanology either. Although I will say he has suprised me at times with his wordplay and delivery which is a lot more than I can say about your hero. You actually were never like me because you are like 16 years old and really don't have a clue about anything we're discussing. If you paid attention, I don't like any specific type of hip-hop. I like quality music that isn't forced or gimmick driven. I appreciate you telling me how to shed my shell too. Since you know, I probably have listened to a wider variety of everything than most people.

>Have you really listened to any screw tapes? Try Blue Over
>Grey.
>

Haven't heard that one...but as a whole, I'm not a fan of the screw tapes from what I've heard.

>You probably don't like much southern Hip-Hop outside of
>Outkast huh?
>

Outkast
Goodie Mob
UGK
Scarface
TI
some Luda joints
Big Krit is dope
Freddie Gibbs is nice
Curren$y
Carter 2 was dope
Cunninlynguists are real dope
there are others as well

sure...I like a lot of Southern music. I actually was looking at it the other day and I like a lot more hip-hop from the South than from the West.

>You're DJ Screw comment really shows your true colors imo. One
>of the key elements that makes up why I like Drake is that
>he's one of the few MC's left that still shows some of that
>influence sonically.
>

LOL @ my true colors. as if liking Screw certifies you as a true hip-hop fan or something. if you like Drake "sonically" then you like wack shit.

>I think you're a certified backpacker.
>

That's good. I'm glad you think that. Makes me happy. I'll send you a card.

>It's also hilarious to me that people always mention the
>"don't make me catch a body" line. It's one line in one song.
>

It's one line...and like you're focusing on Stevie above, you seem not understand the concept of an example. because there are plenty other lines I can quote...I am just lazy and went for the easy one. But you can't fault me for that because I'm talking to someone who is resorting to terms like "backpacker" siting artists like Termanology and claiming I must only like Outkast from the South. It's also hilarious when people mention those smart guy.

>
>Then you turn around and call him a fake tough guy?
>
>Wtf is this the twilight zone? On one hand he's a fake tough
>guy. Then he's a sensitive-emo fag. Choose one and stick with
>it.
>

He actually is both and that is what is see-through about him. he has no real identity. he is trying to be all of those things and it ALL comes off fake. since you know, you didn't understand what I meant when I said "see-through." and my point is that if you think Drake is an honest artist then I simply have to laugh at you because you can't see-through the fake shit he is doing.

>At least not liking him b/c he's too emo, is understandable.
>Calling him a fake thug is just lying to yourself, and
>hypocritical because about 60%* of all of our favorite MC's
>are just that.
>(*may not be accurate)
>

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to buy MOP's tough talk and "representation" of being a product of their environment more than Drake.

>don't come in here with that "you have no say in Hip-Hop
>shit".
>

Simmer down youngin'

>I'm pretty sure that 90% of the shit you've heard I've heard
>also. And I know for a fact that there's more Hip-Hop that we
>agree is good that there is that we don't agree is.
>

Maybe...maybe not. But if you understood hip-hop at it's foundation then you wouldn't respect gimmicky artists like Drake and Rick Ross.

>You've mentioned that Bob Dylan thing before, age has nothing
>to do with liking Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan is just hard to get
>into.
>
>Just like Aphex Twin, that dude is amazing, but when I first
>heard Drukqs I was like wtf is this noise. Now it's one of my
>favorite albums, underrated imo just because it came from
>AFX.
>
>Age had nothing to do with me not getting Aphex Twin at first
>or Bob Dylan at first. It clicks with time, not age/wisdom.
>

I didn't say age had something to do with it and also said when it "clicks it clicks".

And what I am telling you is that it will "click" with you when you realize Drake is not good by any means.