Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthmmmm
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2645657&mesg_id=2648294
2648294, hmmmm
Posted by denny, Wed Jan-11-12 05:15 AM
I saw Matrix when i was already a little jaded. I saw it as an oversimplification of Descarte's 'brains floating in a vat' thing and viewed it as being tied up in old, dusty philosophy. The fact that it attempted to involve cutting edge technology was kinda contradictory imo cause the themes and concepts completely ignored any modern philosophy from 1900 on.

But I guess the point is....it's a growing old thing imo. The wide-eyed wonder of our youth is irretrievable.

But all that said...I still check out new things. I heard the new Drake album and think it's great. It's got that epic synth sound that people like nowadays but it's balanced out with a low-fi aesthetic characterized by alot of EQ filtering. I was surprised by the constraint on alot of the production and further surprised that lots of people genuinely like that kind of thing. To me, it sounded like the work of an obscure artist....not a pop sensation.

I can still dig new things. Not as romantic about it as when i was a kid. I mistakenly thought there was a musical revolution happening when I first heard Jazzanova. "This is really happening! Nothing will ever be the same again!" It's a combination of being really dumb when you're young and being really boring when you're old.