Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBecause it's too overwhelming.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2645657&mesg_id=2646046
2646046, Because it's too overwhelming.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Thu Jan-05-12 12:05 PM
>That confused me because if it was just being overwhelmed by
>the sheer volume of stuff out on the internet you could fall
>back to the old model... that is unless you're not interested
>in what's being offered in the mainstream. In which case the
>same vehicle you're saying is too much trouble is the other
>option... an option that use to not even exists. I'm just
>confused as to how that could make someone listen to less new
>music than before that option even existed.
>
>Help me out here.

I've always said that as much people rail against record companies and how they limited the amount of music released to us, I was always somewhat grateful to them for that on some level.

I used to work in a big record store, and I would look at the 100s of shelves flowing over with CDs and think "damn... this is a lot of shit. where would someone (without a lot of knowledge) even start to go through all this to find stuff they liked?" And mind you: this was WITH the "curatorial filter" of the record labels!

Now: without the filter, anybody who wants to make music can put it out... there's no quality control. At least in the past, there were certain labels I trusted to always release good shit, or certain artists/producers/musicians, etc.

To some degree, those filters still exist, I guess.... Like there could be a blog/podcast/online station that you trust to direct you to stuff that is within your taste... But I will say that where new music is concerned, I still end up having to sift through like a 7:1 ratio of stuff I don't like to what I do like. I don't have the time for that. So yeah... I probably end up listening to less.

It takes us back to that controversial post "If Your Album is Free, I don't Respect it"... "LANKS" are a dime a dozen and for the most part, unless I know you or have some reason to expect good stuff from you, I ignore them all. The fact that there is more stuff out there and it's more easily accessible does not make me want to listen to it more... For me, it has the opposite effect of making me not want to listen to it at all.