Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectyou seem to be misunderstanding me, though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2645657&mesg_id=2646033
2646033, you seem to be misunderstanding me, though.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Thu Jan-05-12 11:39 AM
>I perfectly understand not wanting to put the effort into
>seeking out music. But my point was people can still follow
>the old model if they so choose. I don't really think you're
>less interested because it's become harder as much as you're
>just not interested in what's easily accessed.

I don't think I suggested by any means that the old models no longer existed. I was responding directly to someone who said that you are "lazy" if you're not trawling through blogs, podcasts, SoundCloud and Bandcamp 24-7 looking for new stuff. I got other things I need to spend that time and energy on.

Actually, that's not even true... Because I probably put that much time and energy into researching and hunting down older stuff. So at the end of the day, perhaps I don't find most new music to be worth the effort... and I already did allow for that possibility.

Still, I will say that the current "model" (if it can be called that) is a big factor. As much as music is supposedly "free" now, it's much harder to find... good stuff, anyway. I miss the "curatorial filters" BSharp referred to below, and I miss the social/cultural aspect of music because I'm not a pathetic, antisocial shut-in like Warren Coolidge. Endlessly downloading music in isolation is joyless to me. Music as a whole just does not occupy the same cultural space it once did, which makes a lot of new stuff inconsequential to me.