Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectjust re-visted sa-ra's nuclear evolution 2cd from 2009...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2645086
2645086, just re-visted sa-ra's nuclear evolution 2cd from 2009...
Posted by david bammer, Mon Jan-02-12 11:55 PM
and this shit SUCKS.
absolutely NOTHING on this record ever catches and works.
it's just a mish-mash of awful execution and mediocre ideas.

i know in a previous self-indulgent post i made that only holds any importance to me i praised them for being ahead of their time
and argued the change they theoretically could made to black music was suppressed/ignored by the mainstream music industry.
and i mean in certain ways that is true.
maybe if these guys (producing other songwriters material for actual singers) had been given a mainstream chance it might have sparked something as far as influence...
especially around 2004/2005.
but these guys were simply not songwriters/singers/musicians.
and i think that was probably their downfall.
so, god bless them, for you know...
making an entire double album with such little chops.
but come on...
the sum of all their attributes = they're good drum-programmers and have some unique details.

this has me worried to re-check waajeed's abundance which was another record i remember not hanging on to for very long i was going to revisit...
2645087, and i liked that single TAZ had 2-4 years ago...
Posted by david bammer, Mon Jan-02-12 11:56 PM
that $outh$ide shit.
i liked that record.
but this record? yikes.
2645101, that shafiq solo joint is awesome tho
Posted by Madvillain 626, Tue Jan-03-12 01:17 AM
i hope he drops something new this year.

but yeah, sa-ra had too many ideas without any decent execution. For all their talk, they had the same problem as most pop artists nowadays, too much focus on the image without good songs to back it up.
2645106, i agree. sa ra is much more hype then anything. but i dig their style
Posted by judono, Tue Jan-03-12 01:59 AM
taz got some cool style. shafiq has some dope ass production when he's on... om'mas prob got some shit too in the vaults--- but some of their records are unenjoyable. and i bought them all
2645113, "Love Czars" is my shit though...
Posted by soulsupreme, Tue Jan-03-12 03:38 AM
I will say the double CD was a bit overkill but it had a few joints I still knock;

"Melodee N'mynor"
"He Say She Say"
"Bitch Baby"
"Can I Get U Hi"
"My Star"
"I Swear"

Love Czars II (Ft. Jay Electronica & Ta'Raach) on remix was dope too

"This is your world. Shape it or someone else will." - Gary Lew
2645118, You are on point with this
Posted by Former_Day_Saint, Tue Jan-03-12 04:51 AM
Shafiq is really the only one who I remain interested in. Pretty safe to say the dude is the most talented of the bunch.

Southside blood cousin was a banger no doubt but if you heard that new joint he release a month ago or so you'd be convinced dude is off his rocker. Seriously that shit was bad...

Anyway, I bought that cd off OKP hype and at the time I was genuinely a fan but after less that a week in the deck I had a terrible case of buyers remorse. I remember trying to put an friend onto them he was like "toooooo wierd" yup...basically.

2645122, I Love That Album,,,,,
Posted by Harlepolis, Tue Jan-03-12 05:00 AM
Spacefruit: http://youtu.be/uq9d4AS5pns
Just Like A Baby: http://youtu.be/wnL4z7NSSGA
2645148, ^^^
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Tue Jan-03-12 09:52 AM
2645241, Yep
Posted by Ishwip, Tue Jan-03-12 01:59 PM

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
2645245, co-sign
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Jan-03-12 02:03 PM
2645712, Yaknow? If only for Gemini's Rising and The Bone Song.
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Wed Jan-04-12 03:53 PM
2645231, anybody think we're gonna get a taz solo lp this year?
Posted by underground AnR, Tue Jan-03-12 01:42 PM
??
2645319, dope album
Posted by wheels, Tue Jan-03-12 03:51 PM
there was some filler on there but i dug 'nuclear evolution'. its all over the place like 'hollywood recordings', but lots of dope material. 'spacefruit', 'melodee n'mynor', 'love czars', 'the bone song', 'can i get you hi' are highlights for me. i do hope they put together a more cohesive project in the future.

but shafiq's solo album is one of my favorite albums of all-time. thundercat's bass work is all over the album. i don't think this album gets as much love as it deserves. check these out:

- shafiq husayn feat. bilal - 'cheeba' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iElw4kHCs1I)
- shafiq husayn feat. fatima - 'lil girl' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2yzLtq3_w&feature=related)
- shafiq husayn - 'u.n. plan' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHxXJg85tYQ&feature=relmfu)

i'm hoping om'mas solo album 'city pulse' comes out soon. what i've heard from it sounds fresh.

- om'mas keith feat. rozzi daime & shafiq - 'sugar lady' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44TWwuVnwuI)
2645599, I Wanted To Cop This Album But Never Did
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Jan-04-12 09:15 AM
I remember when this came out, and was kind of anticipating it's release, so a week or so after it came out I decided to listen to snippets of the album.

I checked it out and nothing grabbed me at all, not sure if it was just me or the music wasn't on par with what they did on their last album or what; but it made me pass on their album at the time; but I knew if I just went and bought the album that I would listen to it all the way thru, every track, no skipping, that I probably would end up liking it but it was a few other albums I ended up purchasing instead.

Anyway, I decided if I see a used copy of it I would snatch that up, so about 6 to 9 months go by, I got hit up on some hard times and had to go sell some cds and of course while at the record store I see a used copy but I needed money, I didn't go there to spend money I didn't have.

I still haven't seen another used copy of it since; and I refuse to download it when I really should just do that after all this time.

2645619, You could have just stopped here
Posted by OldPro, Wed Jan-04-12 11:33 AM
>but these guys were simply not songwriters

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/
2645633, according to Badu, Shafiq is a pretty great songwriter.
Posted by sweeneykovar, Wed Jan-04-12 12:42 PM
2645757, according to me, as a learned listener, he's not.
Posted by david bammer, Wed Jan-04-12 05:42 PM
2645798, ok, noted. prob won't be going with your opinion tho. n/m
Posted by sweeneykovar, Wed Jan-04-12 07:15 PM
2645632, nah, its ill. n/m
Posted by sweeneykovar, Wed Jan-04-12 12:41 PM
2645663, ^
Posted by Ishwip, Wed Jan-04-12 02:35 PM

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
2645691, that shit is beyond ill
Posted by mathmagic, Wed Jan-04-12 03:22 PM
2645648, for real, lol??
Posted by mathmagic, Wed Jan-04-12 01:44 PM
i thought you were gonna say this was a fantastic album. cuz it is. every song. I was all prepared to discuss the merits of Nuclear evolution, but since this is a hate post, I'll be out.

p.s. Shafiq Husayn is the best producer in music (imo)
2645759, RE: for real, lol??
Posted by david bammer, Wed Jan-04-12 05:42 PM
>p.s. Shafiq Husayn is the best producer in music (imo)

oh ok. thanks.
2645882, word. shafiq is a beast.
Posted by wheels, Wed Jan-04-12 10:19 PM
can't wait for his next album.
2645883, fly shit
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Jan-04-12 10:20 PM
a couple of tracks i could do without but, overall....it still gets played.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
2658424, You buggin'
Posted by Unprogrammedminds, Mon Feb-06-12 04:16 AM
Nuclear Evolution was the shit. Each track was distinctly different yet the album had a nice cohesive flow. How could anyone front on "Love Czars"?

I also agree w/ everyone about Shafiq En Afreeka. One of the best albums of the last 10 years. He's a genius.
2658446, Not True!
Posted by nkulish e bulish, Mon Feb-06-12 07:34 AM

That album is great. I completely disagree with your views on the lp. It was one of 2009 better releases.

There are too many nice songs to highlight. Probably there was one song I didnt feel otherwise the 'Creative Partners' were in full in effect on the Nuclear Evolution.

Its not accurate to reduce them to drum programmers when the album covers so much ground and range. It also reduces the role played by Thundercat on the album with his bass playing.