Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectListening To The Demo Mixtape Is Bittersweet,,,,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2643934&mesg_id=2644026
2644026, Listening To The Demo Mixtape Is Bittersweet,,,,
Posted by Harlepolis, Thu Dec-29-11 08:59 AM
It makes you SMH @ what legacy could've taken place had madness didn't get into the picture. It never ceases to amaze me how much talent Da Bassment gave birth to, or aborted given how many of them weren't as fortunate as Missy, Tim, Tweet, Ginuwine and the likes. DeVante's story sort of reminds of Sly Stone, both had many talents, but their most treasured asset was "the studio", both had a posse that broke out and made names for themselves, both had that civil war element among their friends, both were introduced to the wrong type of folks who ultimately helped to their career's demise.

I would love to hear ALL of the Sugah song in full crisp condition. Hearing Charlene "Tweet" Keys singing in her fresh, young voice made my eyes lit up.

And the stories gave me perspective on why her singing in "Southern Hummingbird" was very moody, dark and jaded.

Best thing about your post though was how it maintained balance, most of the accounts I've heard about DeVante were demoralizing to say the least, and from what I read/watched from this blog, this is the first time were I felt sympathy for the man and for those who didn't break out of the Bassment crew.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, bravo!