Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwe're very, very different about that aspect
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2643813&mesg_id=2644105
2644105, we're very, very different about that aspect
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Dec-29-11 01:05 PM
>for my (sorry to bring it up again, years later) radio
>show... and i mean making them impeccable every week.

when I was DJing I did it off the cuff every show. I don't know, I definitely appreciate the artistry in constructing an impeccable playlist, but maybe I'm more lax about what I think follows/flows... more maybe the songs themselves are more important to me than the order they're played in.

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but I actually did an on-air audition at WXPN around 1995 though, and it was hard to adjust to he pre-set playlist format. (Obviously I didn't get the job.)

I see the same thing in the social listening rooms with you - you're meticulous about playing certain songs for certain people, sometimes even in certain orders, which is completely different from me. I think.

Then again, I might have been different if I'd been doing that stuff when I was, say, in college... at a point in my life where more of my energy was devoted to music.

>oddly
>enough, i've not cared since then about making playlists to
>return to.

The article really focuses on the iPod (or other player! haha) so since neither of us uses an iPod (or other portable device), it opens up the chickn-or-egg question of whether the iPod can drive a listener toward playlists in the sense that hte article is talking about, or whether someone who appreciates playlists in that way more would be more likely to go iPod?

Or maybe it's a bunch of baloney either way, and there's no real correlation.

I suggest above the same theory (of a playlist as mantra) could be applied to format radio, which is basically a playlist broadcast to lots of people. I know you enjoy listening to comm'l. radio in different formats so you may have more thought on that.

>that's just not how i listen to music. there's
>something strange about this article, something very
>pavlovian. i guess it's no surprise because i've never been
>one of those people who have go-to songs for "when you're
>mad/sad" or whatever.