Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthere's the problem with these arguments
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2640396&mesg_id=2640914
2640914, here's the problem with these arguments
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Mon Dec-19-11 08:57 AM
>(1)J-Dilla had three different beat styles ((1)his smooth,
>loud snare/handclap, dope bassnote vibe, (2)his beat/gen
>beats, & (3)his beat konducta/donuts style of beats); sorry to
>say but Premier has had two different styles and he's been
>doing his second style of beat making over & over for almost
>20 years now (yeah I love it but it gets kind of stale if the
>beat isn't up to par especially when he got soooo many dope
>beats from the past that's hard to out do).
>

you could say the exact same thing about what Dilla was doing
at different points I found his beats boring to a great degree, case in point the 2oo5 beat tapes that preceded Donuts
they all have the same drums, same chopping, same everything
I don't hold it against him at all, and it doesn't diminish him in my eyes because he was working out a style and you can hear it
but what you're talking is stylistic preference, and that's definitely cool and I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion
but the 'style switch' thing doesn't really make someone better than another that doesn't do it
Duke Ellington did big band shit for 5o yrs, but when Miles was doing fusion nobody was saying "Duke needs to get with this shit here"
and being honest, Primo has 4 different style switches; the more rigid NMNNG sound, the DO/SITA style, the HTE/more natural bounce shit he was doing up until 96 or so (the drums on the Crooklyn Dodgers shit is the apex of that sound to me) and the 'I'll chop anything and you'll never get the source unless I tell you' shit he's been on for about 15 yrs
they're all dope to me so iont have the issue you do, but both Dilla and Primo have punched below their weight class beatwise a time or two

>(2)The way he would flip a sample even if it was recognizable,
>he would still make it sound different than another producer
>would flip it; Premier is good at this as well but Premier
>chops up his samples and use them sparsely but J-Dilla would
>use more than 3 to 8 seconds of a sample and still flip it
>nicely.
>

all top-shelf producers do this, you might need to explain this one more
when you hear a Primo flip, you know its him
when you hear that Dilla shit, you know it's him

>(3)He rapped and flowed well especially over his own joints,
>even his grunts and adlibs make a beat sound dope; yeah
>Premier doesn't rap but I will say this, Premier will always
>have that upper hand when it comes to scratch
>montages/chorus.

I'll always love the way he made himself an instrument on his shit, and the reason for it is because he wasn't on some "yeah I'm the shit for even trying this" type shit, he did it because it felt good which is something I'd hope more producers would take in mind
he knew not to get in the way of the music, a lot of his followers would do well to follow that logic