Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYou can't really be this dense
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2638050&mesg_id=2638355
2638355, You can't really be this dense
Posted by k_orr, Sun Dec-11-11 06:46 PM
88-94 NWA/Dre/Snoop/Dogg Pound/CMW/Eazy E hip hop is over.
Nobody is trying to sound exactly like those guys.

I'll give you that no one is remaking "something to dance 2" in 2011.

That's certainly not what Abstract is talking about in the lead post.

He's talking about the general themes of gangsterism, misogyny, drug dealing, and street topics. You can read this thread and all the other ones he's written on this topic.

That being said, plenty of hip hop artists took West Coast G-Rap flows, lyrical content, imagery, and production techniques. (Weezy wouldn't be who he is w/o snoop, fuck whatchu heard)

Now if you're convinced that a dude rapping about making niggas back flip cause he hitting them with bullets is somehow different than bucking niggas down with 30 aught buckshot is really DIFFERENT...

I don't know what to tell you. That's just ludicrous and ludacris.

That's such a surface distinction, that if you're willing to make it, you're just trying to argue for arguments sake.

>YOU JUST MADE MY POINT. you were talking about NWA's ohh so
>important influence. i named all the rappers who made music in
>their time period (86-91) who were just as influential.

No you named people, and just like niggas before, you ain't explain their influence.

Nobody raps like KRS still. Shit's been over and dead. hell krs don't rap like krs.

The folks who rap like PE, are like 3 underground dudes.
People can't produce like the bomb squad anymore

But you don't hear Busta Rhymes claiming 5% when he rapping with Chris Brown. Rakim's content is kinda out the door. (his conversational style and tone though, a departure from the ll cool j/run dmc style changed hip hop and people still rap in the default Rakim style even today)

People still making records like 2 Live though.
And pimp shit is the foundation of a lot of dudes careers all over.

But what i'm saying is that if you were listening back then, most rappers were not on the rah rah, i'm hard, shoot a nigga up, fuck a bitch when I can, move some weight, until NWA dropped.

When they dropped, niggas in detroit, flint, sheboygan, memphis, new orleans, oklahoma city, phoenix, was like, "oh word, I can rap about that shit, gimme a mic". Suddenly you got a Charlotte's Most Wanted dropping a record from the mean streets of North Cackalackey.

When the chronic came out, cats was like, "oh I don't need to be looking through these dusty ass breaks, I can get uncle leon to use a bass for my song"... Production changes all over the country.

all of
>said rappers from that era speak of how they were vibing off
>what each other was doing but trying to create their own lane.

Fuck outta here with that vibing community shit.

Niggas bit. They bit HARD. Like MOP would even exist with NWA.

They changed up their steez to get paid. And if they didn't do it of their own accord, the record company forced them, or they signed new niggas to do just that.

That's what hip hop is and does. Despite you kumbuyah/4 element cats saying otherwise.

>you went and explained EXACTLY why it does not make sense to
>say NWA / Gangsta rap was the source of HIp Hop becoming
>"better". Too Short, Ice T, solo Cube, PE, KRS, Ra were all
>just as influential. how did that not make sense to you!?!!

No, they weren't.

It's like saying Joeski Love or Newcleus was as influential as Run DMC.

Much love to Joeski, but the answer is no.

Eminem is even bigger than Mc Hammer, but so far, not very influential. Same with the Beastie Boys.

There are plenty of hit songs and great artists that don't influence other artists to change up their steez.

Tribe - influential.
Chi Ali - not so much

Queen Latifah - influential.
Monie Love - not in the least.

Freestyle Fellowship - influential
Twista - nope.

>all the post-golden era rappers, you know the period from
>roughly 92-98, before the enormous (and silly) mainstream vs.
>underground divide happens,

You lumping in a lot of years and not taking into account all the other factors. Clear Channel. Death of major figures. Changes in sampling laws.

>found a balance. Snoop, DPG, Gang
>Starr, Wu, Nas, Pac, Biggie, Tupac most all of them talked the
>street/gangsta shit, the social critique, the celebration of
>the rap life and politics.

Please. By 94 that political shit was dead. Hell it was dead when Caine threw the conscious shit out his ride in Menace II Society.

And 94-96 - Wu, Nas, and Gangstarr were popular maybe in NYC. But Biggie and Pac were popular all over the country. Why? They were on that west coast sound and content.

And did Biggie get big?
Juicy and the One More Chance rmx.

The same way that Masta Ace jumped on the West Coast bandwagon by rmxing Jeep Ass Niguh.

We also hearing from Da Brat and JD in this era. All riding the g-funk wave.

We hearing from Bone, and eventually 3-6, making noise off the Eazy E affilation.

97-98 - Pac and Biggie out the picture, niggas like the Lox, DMX, and Puffy take over, and the R&Bization of hip hop starts.

03 drops, and suddenly a dude from Queens done ripped off a southern flow and style.

I could go on and on, but it sounds like you're reading from a text book and wasn't buying records, going to clubs and concerts at the time. Or you just don't have a critical ear. I dunno.

very few were strictly on the NWA
>or PE side.
>
>WE AGREE that how can one like hip hop and not like gangsta
>rap, but like the other styles of rap that survived and came
>about before and after, Gangsta rap has had its forgettable,
>stupid and real shitty parts.

Gangsta Rap, much like Rakim and Run DMC before them, infiltrated the very DNA of hip hop.

Other cats start little trends, like Snoop got everybody to start smoking weed on wax and Primo got the entire underground to chop, but few artists ever alter the very fabric of the genre.

Prior to SOC, hip hop was really a bragging rights/word flipping genre. And most of it wasn't about the words, but the beats and how hype they were. Peep the bpm's from those days.

Post SOC....shit changes. Beats slowed down, folks enunciating, people stopped dancing and doing dances, niggas got hard....

>and making distinctions is not compartmentalizing. if you feel
>comfortable saying the rappers we been name dropping are from
>the same rap history tree, i will just disagree with you. Wu
>made CREAM in direct response to the G-Funk that they felt had
>taken over what they felt was "real hip hop". so how you link
>them to NWA outside of SOME content similarities is beyond
>me.

Cash Rules Everything Around Me is a reaction the west coast/g-rap sound?

haha. The whole song is about loving material items and Raekwon's failure as a drug dealer.

If anything, NWA was anti-drug dealer, that's only if you listen to lyrics though.

>and lol at you jumping to internet / music industry bubble
>bust rappers Maino and Asap Rocky in reference to post-golden
>era. these dudes are more likely to say Wu, UGK and Pac are
>influences than NWA, Ra, Short or PE. smh.

You the one bringing up who current mc's are gonna say who influenced them.

>but you live in a rap
>world / hip hop culture were every thing exists in one nice
>linear bubble it seems

Naw, I gather data, analyze, and present a cogent argument.

That's the difference between me and everyone else in this thread.
I make a point and back it up. I can bring evidence to the table, not just vague feelings, incoherent and contradictory thoughts, and personal opinions.

one
k. orr