Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject!?!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2638050&mesg_id=2638287
2638287, !?!!
Posted by astralblak, Sun Dec-11-11 02:36 PM
all that writing and you didn't even address what i wrote. there is A SOUND (Dre, Quick, DJ Pooh, Battlecat, even Muggs) that comes with gangsta rap, along with that content and image. I don't know of many people who group Nas, Mobb, Wu, Big, ect with gangsta rap. when i think of g-rap i think of NWA, Ice T, Cube, Above the Law, early Snoop, Dogg Pound, Quick, MC Eight, Bone, ect. there is / was similarities in the way East and West coast emcees talked about there respective hoods/projects, but there was also huge differences and calling everything that had thug, gangsta, drugs and guns references is a disservice to how diverse rap music really is.

as to the second point you made, you named a bunch of rappers who all made music around the same time: Ice T, Schooly D, BDP, Rakim, NWA, PE 86-91. Dre himself speaks to how much Bomb Squad and PE influenced him. So please explain who rap was infinitely better, solely because of NWA, when they all created at the same moment in time. The popular narrative is NWA changed shit, which they did, BUT when the post-golden era emcees are asked who are their primary influences, who always comes up? NWA? lol, how about Rakim and KRS One. revisionist, okay buddy.