Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthis sounds like the same old set hes been playing for years now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2631392&mesg_id=2632958
2632958, this sounds like the same old set hes been playing for years now
Posted by GumDrops, Mon Nov-28-11 04:34 AM
and i dont know about anyone else, but i hate the song musicology, and when i read about how long a set hes done, and how long the jams are, i start to get tired just reading about it lol (i mean, its not like the funk jams these days are tight like when he did mutiny/controversy in 1986, theyre often a bit flabby imo)

he should find some new songs to cover. it would be more interesting if he picked something unexpected, if he did a lady gaga song or something (but NOT like he did radioheads creep... cos that was pretty terrible). the problem with most of princes covers is that he picks the most obvious songs, like flashlight from parliament, everday people from sly, songs that everyone already knows really well.

actually i think he should do a covers tour. give the classics a rest now. do a tour of covers - stuff he was inspired by (but not too much sly unless its new, more obscure songs, like let me hear it from you, or underdog or something), like joni mitchell, kate bush, staple singers, things you wouldnt expect, and not do them in vegas funk mode, and mix that up with covers of good, more recent songs (but not alicia keys or beyonce, songs that might stretch his boundaries a little bit - then again, i doubt this would happen as i dont know if anyone exposes him to different stuff these days). id like to hear prince do a bjork song. or he could do dangelos untitled. ha.