Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI agree with that to some extent...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2630886&mesg_id=2631560
2631560, I agree with that to some extent...
Posted by The Analyst, Wed Nov-23-11 12:50 PM
For example, Vol. 2 I believe actually dropped before both of DMX's albums 98. I think Vol. 2 is at least as responsible for defining that late-90s "Swizz Beats Era" as the Lox and DMX, which is different from saying he simply appropriated a hot sound. He wasn't the first to use that Swizz sound, but he definitely helped implement the trend.

Kind of the same thing for Timbaland. He had produced almost entirely R&B with the exception of Missy's first album and the album with Magoo. Were there a lot of rappers outside of Tim's immediate circle who were getting beats to rap on before Jay? I guess there were others doing it around the same time as Jay though...

I would argue that American Gangster was an interesting choice from him though. Although it obviously breaks no new ground sonically, it didn't sound like anything that was out at the time and certainly wasn't example of Jay trying to follow any trends or anything. I remember riding in a car with some friends and being forced to listen to the radio, and that was when the minimalist southern stuff was really, really prevalent, and hearing how much "Roc Boys" stood out from everything else that was out. You were hearing tracks with 70bmp click tracks for drums with sparse bleeps and blips, and then all of a sudden you got this lush soulful beat with horns blaring all over the place and Jay actually rapping...that stood out at the time.

Thats's kind of my issue with Watch the Throne. It sounds like a souped up version of everything else that is popping right now.

I don't disagree with your overall point though. I've grown to really wish he was a less calculating and would make some outside-the-box shit...