Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthis is a great fucking album
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2628377&mesg_id=2637121
2637121, this is a great fucking album
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Dec-07-11 10:44 PM
I love the concept of the entire thing and the way it was pulled off.

I love (and I'm not sure if it was on purpose but I'm assuming it was) how it goes backwards and then the suite goes forward so that when it's on repeat it play perfectly right back into the beginning again.

it really reminds me of the Xzibit joint Recycled Assassins. it gives it that feeling of this lifestyle being an ongoing tragedy.

was that the idea ?uest?

I would've loved to explore what the guests could've done if placed in the record as people in Redford's life as opposed to playing him from different angles.

and I only say that because upon first listen, I didn't feel like each MC really varied that much per topic to show different sides of the character as much as each track did.

but I'm going to give it more time to analyze that aspect.

But this is definitely better than the last two albums.

need to sit with it more to see how it holds up next to Game Theory.

it is without a doubt in that Illadelph/TFA/Game Theory class as their best.

I had a good feeling about this album since hearing about the concept.

and like I made an appreciation post in the past, The Roots really do put their all into every album and they have been doing that longer than any other hip-hop act and that's something special.

regardless of my complaints about the guests and the Dice hooks, they release quality fucking music. period.

I have a feeling this album will be in their top 3.