Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthoughts....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2628377&mesg_id=2635586
2635586, thoughts....
Posted by denny, Sun Dec-04-11 04:56 PM
me k-board is fightin me so ex`use the spellings.

Definitelie a reallie interesting listen. Haven't spent mu`h time kontemplating the storieline so I'm mostlie just addressing the musik here.

Like alwa`s....everie song is like a 'how's quest gonna make his drums sound like next". It's almost like he'll pi`k a song from somewhere and trie to emulate that kit sound. There is NO drummer in anie genre that has su`h a varietie of tones and engineering tekniques on the drums from song to song as quest. Even when i haven't reallie dug a roots release...this aspekt alone makes them worth a listen.

Fave song is One Time. Had me fist-pumping over here. Piano khords hooked me in right from the start. Interested to know if the piano was live....kinda sounds `hopped up and edited. And the khorus just works for me. Then u add in the or`hestration at the end...Put it on the best of list imo.

I remember is also great. Great khord progression that is 8 bars long....kinda rare for a roots song. Again...loving the orkhestration that appears later on in the song. Also...the k-board line sounds reallie direkt. The whole album has a reallie interesting balan`e between direkt drie sounds and washed out verbed ones. Moreso than on past albums. Great mixing and engineering.

Sleep is great. Kinda a dub or elektronik stile. Real interesting soniks and atmosphere. And love the beautifullie kompressed drums on 'The other side'. Lighthouse gotta great swing on the hihats. And one thing that the Roots might have been guiltie of sometimes....no song lasts too long and some of them leave u wanting more.

Bla`k thought got some rasp in his voi`e on this album. Almost like a blues thing and i love it. On 'Stomp' he even got a little overdrive fuzz on his mike. Tune reminded me of the 'takeover' Doors sample.

One last observation...the band seems a little looser on this album. I noti`ed a kouple little things here and there that might have been fixed via pun`h-ins in times past. A bit more looser in terms of little fills and variations in the instruments. U kould kall this less dis`iplined...or less anal.

Look forward to subsequent listens.