Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthis album is beautiful man.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2628377&mesg_id=2634826
2634826, this album is beautiful man.
Posted by L.E.S., Fri Dec-02-11 01:35 AM
Not usually a word I use to describe hip-hop albums (although I noticed it used to describe HIGO - which makes sense if this is sort of HIGO's twin sibling as Quest implied they make sort of pairs of albums)

Anyway they've done it again & found a way to blend a classic kind of sound and make it fresh. It sounds very new. It might be their most "musical" album. I've been a Roots fan for so long that I always prepare myself to be like "ok this is going to be the album I don't love and I'm cool with that. They've earned my fandom regardless." And yet I genuinely do love every album. Its kind of unprecedented. I mean, there are Bob Dylan albums I find unlistenable (although there are like 12 of his albums that I absolutely love). But The Roots are so consistent and continue to push themselves artistically. Its special.

That being said, after a few listens Undun doesn't have the impact that Game Theory or Rising Down had. But I like it as an evil twin to HIGO and it makes me want to listen to that again. THere's definitely an emotional feel to this album.

If there's one criticism I have its the tempo of the rapping. Black Thought has been an absolute beast, maybe the best MC and most consistent over the last ten years or so.
He's good on this album as always BUT he's an up tempo MC at his best. This album has a lot of ballad type slowed down joints that don't always compliment Riq's gifts fully. But I do understand the concept of the album and that they are trying to set a tone or a voice for the character and I appreciate that.

AND the length. I don't usually nitpick about that and do find virtue in conciseness. But, I do think this album could have used one or two more tracks to really bring the story home stronger.

THE OTHER SIDE is definitely my favorite.