Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAlbums that made you stop checking for an artist/act
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2625793
2625793, Albums that made you stop checking for an artist/act
Posted by AnonymousCoward, Wed Nov-09-11 09:55 AM
Sometimes you give an artist the opportunity to make up for a stinker, but sometimes an album puts you off so much that you just accept the fact that you don't want ever want to hear another full-length from them. That albums have turned you off of an act?
2625796, Phrenology and Electric circus
Posted by AnonymousCoward, Wed Nov-09-11 10:01 AM
I didn't like LWFC or Things fall apart, but I gave both acts one more chance, and they let me down. I still enjoy the Roots as a live act, but I don't ever want to hear another Roots LP.

AOI: Whichever the first one was

Nastraudamus
2625804, Sucks for you. You've missed some really excellent music
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Nov-09-11 10:12 AM
The Roots are on the run of their career right now with the last 3 albums.
2625805, I've heard them. My wife is a fan
Posted by AnonymousCoward, Wed Nov-09-11 10:13 AM
Not my thing.
2625885, I didn't like LWFC or Things fall apart
Posted by bentagain, Wed Nov-09-11 12:01 PM
then why are you here?

2625897, I wasn't aware this was OKARTIST
Posted by AnonymousCoward, Wed Nov-09-11 12:14 PM
2625902, Just wondering what brought you to the site
Posted by bentagain, Wed Nov-09-11 12:18 PM
since LWFC came out in 2000 and you're registered in 2002, the same year Phrenology came out

I mean if you were DONE with those artists, why come to the site?

2625918, This place has (or had) a pretty good reputation
Posted by dalecooper, Wed Nov-09-11 12:43 PM
as a place to discuss hip hop, and music in general. That's what brought me here. I'm not a huge Roots fan either - the last album I bought by them was "Phrenology" and I think I only own three (that one, "Things Fall Apart," and "Do You Want More").
2625922, damn. easily my favorite roots album
Posted by DonWonJusuton, Wed Nov-09-11 12:48 PM
i never understood why so many ppl didn't like it.. i thought it had just about everything you could be looking for...

i promise i'm not gonna shit on your opinion, but u think u could enlighten me on that one??
2626040, common's "be" for me.
Posted by roaches, Wed Nov-09-11 02:50 PM
full-blown retreats are unseemly.
2625811, Never happened
Posted by cjr2221, Wed Nov-09-11 10:20 AM
I give everything a chance regardless of who the artist is, what they do outside of the music, or their past work; b/c the music is all I care about.
2625966, hope you're not paying to give a bunch of shitty artists a 2nd chance
Posted by DonWonJusuton, Wed Nov-09-11 01:39 PM
the music IS what matters, but sometimes you can get a hint that it just might suck..
2625840, Wale-Attention Deficit
Posted by Dix, Wed Nov-09-11 11:13 AM
loved mixtape about nothing, but it was just evident he was going in a different direction than I thought after hearing it and that seems to be confirmed
2625853, Universal Mind Control, Watch The Throne
Posted by atruhead, Wed Nov-09-11 11:28 AM
2625871, WTT? Which artist
Posted by AnonymousCoward, Wed Nov-09-11 11:48 AM
I gave up on Jay at Kingdom Come.
2625863, coldplay - x&y
Posted by cbk, Wed Nov-09-11 11:39 AM
horrible album.
2625908, the very first album that i thought of...
Posted by DonWonJusuton, Wed Nov-09-11 12:25 PM
this is when you knew Coldplay wasn't forreal... sucks too, cuz ROBTTH was pretty damn good... it's always a pivotal moment w/ that album right after the HUGE one.. i think Coldplay failed that test and let everyone know they weren't the band many ppl thought they could be.. and i don't even think it's cuz the music on X&Y sucked that bad... it was just a watered down rehash... which imo is a lot worse... if they came out w/ just a shitty album or experimented and failed, i'd be MUCH more willing to give them another shot... but that shit just left a bad taste
2625947, word
Posted by cbk, Wed Nov-09-11 01:20 PM
>sucks too,
>cuz ROBTTH was pretty damn good...

AROBTTH was my favorite album of 2002. epic. classic. i woulda took a bullet for chris. he showed that a sappy guy can make a powerful album.

>i think
>Coldplay failed that test and let everyone know they weren't
>the band many ppl thought they could be.. and i don't even
>think it's cuz the music on X&Y sucked that bad...
>it was just
>a watered down rehash... which imo is a lot worse... if they
>came out w/ just a shitty album or experimented and failed,
>i'd be MUCH more willing to give them another shot... but that
>shit just left a bad taste

i agree 100%. take a risk! look at beck, he changes all the time!

basically, with gwenyth in the picture, he showed that a happy guy can make a weak album.
2625877, Jay-Z - Vol 2
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Nov-09-11 11:52 AM
I don't know if it was because Aquemini was a million times better and dropped that same day or because I could NEVER deal with those processed Swizz Beatz style productions.

there is absolutely NOTHING that I like about that album.

other than the Primo intro, but the fact that Jay didn't rhyme on it made it bad. lol

After that, I said, I'm done with this dude.

I didn't get Vol 3 or Dynasty when they dropped.

I wasn't back on board until Blueprint (which I think is overrated) but still a great album.
2625976, Vol 2 and 3 are my least favorite Jay albums
Posted by Ishwip, Wed Nov-09-11 01:49 PM
That style of production he had for the majority of the songs sounded bad to me then and worse now.
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
2627797, I think vol. 3 is one of his most under rated ...
Posted by QBoogie, Mon Nov-14-11 06:29 PM
... definitely up there with my faves behind Black Album.
2627296, Oddly enough...
Posted by Ketchums, Sat Nov-12-11 03:35 PM
Vol. 2 is the album that really introduced me to Jay-Z (got into his music really late). Definitely not as good as some of his material that's come before or after that, but Vol. 2 still had some bangers on it. To me, Vol. 3 is worse.
2627686, that record almost did it for me for similar reasons.
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Nov-14-11 12:05 PM
but I liked Vol. 3 even if it didn't was a lil scatterbrained.

but Jay has this weird thing...

where he'll drop an album or two I like, then follow it up with some straight POO POO then come back hard.

2625921, Ice Cube - Lethal Injection
Posted by dalecooper, Wed Nov-09-11 12:47 PM
Bought at the time it came out because I was a big fan of the couple before it, and I remember thinking through at least half the disc, "What the fuck is this shit?" Especially the 11 minute "Bop Gun" - I liked Parliament even then but it seemed like a bizarre thing to put on a Cube record. The whole album just sounded all wrong to me. Ironically, I ended up re-buying it years later and like it pretty well now (though not as well as any of its predecessors), but my overall instincts were correct, considering what he released from the mid-90s on.
2625983, ^^^^
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Nov-09-11 01:55 PM
>Bought at the time it came out because I was a big fan of the
>couple before it, and I remember thinking through at least
>half the disc, "What the fuck is this shit?" Especially the
>11 minute "Bop Gun" - I liked Parliament even then but it
>seemed like a bizarre thing to put on a Cube record. The
>whole album just sounded all wrong to me.

hearing that album, I had the same exact reaction.
2626007, Yeah man, I was done with Cube after that.
Posted by micMajestic, Wed Nov-09-11 02:17 PM
>Bought at the time it came out because I was a big fan of the
>couple before it, and I remember thinking through at least
>half the disc, "What the fuck is this shit?" Especially the
>11 minute "Bop Gun" - I liked Parliament even then but it
>seemed like a bizarre thing to put on a Cube record. The
>whole album just sounded all wrong to me.

Posted by AnonymousCoward, Wed Nov-09-11 02:32 PM
2626072, I stubbornly held on through the War & Peace Volumes
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Nov-09-11 03:35 PM
Lethal Injection is Death Certificate by comparison to either of those.
2626112, ^^^^what he said
Posted by soulsupreme, Wed Nov-09-11 04:24 PM

"This is your world. Shape it or someone else will." - Gary Lew
2626252, Crazy. I got into Cube in 93 via "Check yo self"
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Nov-09-11 07:15 PM
And he was one of my fav's til like 99-2000...I actually thought War & Peace Vol. 1 was great at the time, SMH.
2626260, you missed all the good shit, Bruh...
Posted by disco dj, Wed Nov-09-11 07:26 PM
"AmmeriKKKa's Most Wanted" and "Death Certificate"? Certifiable classics.

I actually HATED Cube when he was in NWA. But once I heard "AMW", I had to bow down and admit he was ridiculous. One of the best MC's ever. Definitely in my Top 20, if not Top 15.

2626513, Why'd you hate him in NWA?
Posted by Brew, Thu Nov-10-11 12:41 PM
Honest question.
2627255, I never really liked Gangsta Rap ( specifically, what it stood for)
Posted by disco dj, Sat Nov-12-11 02:26 PM
I just never liked the whole concept of pointing out the worst things in our community for entertainment. I thought it was irresponsible.

I'm not gonna get into it, because we had a post on it a couple years back and it turned into a shitstorm.

But let's just say, I wasn't a big fan of Gangsta Rap, and NWA are the Godfathers of that genre.

*EDIT*

but to be fair, I won't sit here and act like I never listened to it. On a purely *musical* level, there were some decent songs here and there. But I just don't like the legacy it created...

2627281, But you love Mobb Deep though?
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Sat Nov-12-11 03:06 PM
Not trying to be snarky or anything but I remember you said you dig them and they were pretty much doing the same thing, weren't they?

However, I understand somewhat; I have often given the pass to east-coast gangsta rap for reasons I can't explain (maybe it comes across as less glamorizing and more focused on individuals rather than the gang aspect) but at the end of the day, it's the sound of the music that makes me enjoy it more. Like you, I never liked NWA too much and Ice T, Spice 1, Mack 10, Above the law, CMW and all the other ones never did shit for me while I thought (early) Ice Cube was dope as fuck. I wonder why? Maybe it was the Bomb Squad production on "AMW" but I LOvE ''Death Certificate" too and the beats on that one are west coast as fuck (P-funk samples in almost every song, handclap drums etc.)
2627288, I know, right? I'm a bit of a hypocrite, but I'll own up to it...
Posted by disco dj, Sat Nov-12-11 03:25 PM
but to be fair, it's all about the production. Because them dudes ain;t doin' SHIT on the mic.

Also, considering that Q-Tip is rumored to have produced "The Infamous", it's kinda obvious that there's a steady decline in quality since then.

2627290, and now that I think about it, THIS sums it up:
Posted by disco dj, Sat Nov-12-11 03:26 PM

>However, I understand somewhat; I have often given the pass to
>east-coast gangsta rap for reasons I can't explain (maybe it
>comes across as less glamorizing and more focused on
>individuals rather than the gang aspect) but at the end of the
>day, it's the sound of the music that makes me enjoy it more.
>Like you, I never liked NWA too much and Ice T, Spice 1, Mack
>10, Above the law, CMW and all the other ones never did shit
>for me while I thought (early) Ice Cube was dope as fuck. I
>wonder why? Maybe it was the Bomb Squad production on "AMW"

that's pretty much my EXACT sentiment.

2627802, Just admit it...it's called...er...Regional bias
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Nov-14-11 06:34 PM
2626432, That song kind of 'saved' Cube to me....
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Nov-10-11 09:22 AM
If I'm honest he was starting to slip a lil with the Predator, taking on other rappers' styles and shit. Though, that album probably had Cube's best known single on it, and it opened in classic Cube style: the first track after the opener was always a big "Fuck You" song.

From NWA through Death Certificate... Cube was one of my favorite rappers for real.

2626782, ''When will they shoot'' is up there with PE's "Brothers gonna work it out"...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Fri Nov-11-11 05:53 AM
...as one of those Hip-Hop songs that just crush everything in its path; I don't like the Predator too much either but that song has always slayed to me; it's the type of Hip-Hop song that could substitute for some crushing metal when I'm in *that* mood...
2627667, Yep
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Nov-14-11 10:34 AM
>...as one of those Hip-Hop songs that just crush everything
>in its path; I don't like the Predator too much either but
>that song has always slayed to me; it's the type of Hip-Hop
>song that could substitute for some crushing metal when I'm in
>*that* mood...

and good looks on that PE track, that was one of my favorites on FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET... the video was a classic too.

"In 1995, you'll twist to this"

Damn right.
2626528, RE: Ice Cube - Lethal Injection
Posted by astroman71, Thu Nov-10-11 01:24 PM
Me too. Looks like we might have a winner...
2627225, RE: Ice Cube - Lethal Injection
Posted by ry 213, Sat Nov-12-11 12:07 PM
I liked Lethal Injection more than Predator. I always compared Cube releases to Death Certificate and Predator was more of a let down. On Lethal at least Cube went back to more west coast sounding production.
Looking back now though i'd probably say Predator is the better album, sans the Das Efx and Cypress Hill biting...
2625925, last two...
Posted by spidey, Wed Nov-09-11 12:49 PM
...Redman LP's...duke is shell of what he was...sad really...

others:

Mobb Deeps last two to 3 LP's...how hard can one skinny crew be? How many cats have they claimed to kill on tracks, got old...not to mention the fall off in the beats department...
Jay Z--after Blueprint I was done...
Busta--don't really know which ones, but he just fell hard...duke always shines in spots, but as a whole project, can't do it...
2625926, Pharcyde - Plain Rap
Posted by dalecooper, Wed Nov-09-11 12:55 PM
I was a mega-Pharcyde fan with their first two albums, especially "Bizarre Ride" which I about played a hole in. Best free CD I ever got - I lifted it from our college radio station's promo stack in '93, and that's the copy I still own, worn as it is. Anyway, when they put out that EP in 2000 I was psyched to see them return, having no idea of the group's inner turmoil or any of that mess. I bought the EP, listened to it twice, and HATED it. But it was their first thing released after 5 years and it looked like it was just kind of tossed out there (that cover art... smh), so when "Plain Rap" hit I still snapped it up without having heard a lick of it.

Never again. Done with 'em. They fell off as hard as anybody has ever fallen off, in every phase of their game.
2626025, RE: Pharcyde - Plain Rap
Posted by spidey, Wed Nov-09-11 02:38 PM
...no doubt...horrible product...
2626107, That album sucked, agreed.
Posted by soulsupreme, Wed Nov-09-11 04:22 PM

2626601, No FAT LIP so it doesn't count.
Posted by , Thu Nov-10-11 05:14 PM
>I was a mega-Pharcyde fan with their first two albums,
>especially "Bizarre Ride" which I about played a hole in.
>Best free CD I ever got - I lifted it from our college radio
>station's promo stack in '93, and that's the copy I still own,
>worn as it is. Anyway, when they put out that EP in 2000 I
>was psyched to see them return, having no idea of the group's
>inner turmoil or any of that mess. I bought the EP, listened
>to it twice, and HATED it. But it was their first thing
>released after 5 years and it looked like it was just kind of
>tossed out there (that cover art... smh), so when "Plain Rap"
>hit I still snapped it up without having heard a lick of it.
>
>
>Never again. Done with 'em. They fell off as hard as anybody
>has ever fallen off, in every phase of their game.

That album only had three of them on it, no? It def didn't have Fat Lip. So it doesn't count.

...your Auntie Clarisse!

lurkin since 1999. werd.
2626610, That seems like an arbitrary cutoff point
Posted by dalecooper, Thu Nov-10-11 05:46 PM
Does "Niggaz4life" not count as N.W.A.? I mean yeah, lack of Fatlip is a big part of why post-"Labcabin" Pharcyde sucks, but it's not like the group was called Fatlip and the Pharcydes. He was just one member out of a bunch of them - though as it turned out, he might have been the most important one.

I also don't get what happened to Imani. Probably my favorite on "Bizarre Ride" tied with Fatlip, and he induces sleepytime nowadays.
2625954, Elephunk
Posted by fontgangsta, Wed Nov-09-11 01:24 PM
remember when BEP was like, an actual semi-underground rap group?
2626024, RE: Elephunk
Posted by spidey, Wed Nov-09-11 02:37 PM
Yup, I remember when they made quality ish...saw them open for The Roots years ago...
2626013, Prince (even though it's not really true)
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Nov-09-11 02:25 PM
(because I dug 20ten and some of his 3-piece suit(e) that he dropped the year prior)

"My Name Is Prince" was the warning shot, "Gangster Glam" was the time I had to start ducking.

but for a long time I missed a lot of his music because his early '90s period was so ... laughable.

"Gett Off" (a song I remember liking) performed at the MTV Music Awards with the booty-out pants.... the symbol, everything.
2626529, Prince's Gold Album
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Nov-10-11 01:30 PM
I was riding with him on the symbol album but Gold was it.

the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.
2626075, Hip-Hop is Dead
Posted by CondoM, Wed Nov-09-11 03:39 PM
I already knew that Nas sucked, but that really sealed the deal for me.
2626183, I left the tour after "I Am"
Posted by disco dj, Wed Nov-09-11 05:50 PM
2626402, ^^^^ Likes His Hip-Hop With Meatpies and Footballs
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Nov-10-11 07:37 AM
>I already knew that Nas sucked, but that really sealed the
>deal for me.
2626080, The Eminem Show
Posted by ChiefRocka, Wed Nov-09-11 03:44 PM
It was actually a pretty decent album, and compared to Encore it was a work of art. But it was that album where I realized "I've probably heard everything I need to hear from this guy." Combination of him getting worse and me completely losing my desire to listen to shock rap (this album concided with, I believe my sophomore year of high school so I guess I was maturing beyond wanting to hear him talk about raping his mother anymore). I listened to Encore like twice and my feelings were confirmed. Have yet to give a single Eminem album post-Encore a single spin and don't plan on it.

Others:

Redman - Malpractice. Still love Red to death but he ain't even trying anymore.

Mobb Deep - Blood Money. They've just run their course. Havoc should transition into a career of strictly producing, and Prodigy should probably retire.

50 Cent - Curtis. He completely lost all remnants of his "Power Of The Dollar" steez, combined with that ridiculous tiff with Kanye, he started to become extremely grating as a person and an artist. I've since come to appreciate him as a person (some of the shit he says and does is wild entertaining) but still don't fucks with his music anymore.

I'ma think up some more, give me a hot minute.
2626089, RE: The Eminem Show - same for me, fam.
Posted by k0la, Wed Nov-09-11 04:01 PM
i thought it had a couple of joints (especially "say what you say"), but i couldn't vibe to the album too much.

i've heard eminem wreck it a few times recently, so i can respect that, but i can't see myself copping another eminem album. still own the first two, though.
2626439, any hip hop fan with ears would agree
Posted by Amritsar, Thu Nov-10-11 09:37 AM
2626622, Disagree with what?
Posted by ChiefRocka, Thu Nov-10-11 06:47 PM
There were many points made in my post.
2626707, uhhh...you may wanna re-read his response, bro.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Nov-10-11 11:13 PM
2627669, hahaha
Posted by spew120, Mon Nov-14-11 10:42 AM
2627300, Bingo, RE: Blood Money
Posted by Ketchums, Sat Nov-12-11 03:51 PM
Completely lost all interest in Mobb Deep at that point
2626093, the O.C. album after Jewelz...whatever that was.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Wed Nov-09-11 04:04 PM
Diamond D's second album.

BlackSheep's second album.

IMMOBILARITY. prior to OBFCL2, i hadn't had any desire to fool with Rae anymore. he's on time out status again, actually. Shaolin vs. Wu Tang didn't do much for me.

Prince - Musicology
2626094, that mobb deep album after murda muzik
Posted by cbk, Wed Nov-09-11 04:05 PM
infamy? is that what it's called?

bought it, listened to it once, now it's somewhere at the bottom of my storage bins.

didn't buy any mobb stuff after that.
2626111, Yeah, that Infamy album had maybe two tracks but otherwise garbage
Posted by soulsupreme, Wed Nov-09-11 04:23 PM
Haven't bought a Mobb Deep album since Murda Musik.

2626175, you made it further than ME. "Murda Musik" was the last one.
Posted by disco dj, Wed Nov-09-11 05:45 PM
I hope they saved the money they stole from me... it's the last they'll ever get.

and even if I entertained the idea of them making things right, "Return of the Mac" convinced me that it was best that we all go our separate ways.

a LOT of you cats rode HARD for that album... *cough*MistaModerata and DJ Contact*cough

That shit was TURRIBLE. 45 minutes of babbling and cursing. mostly babbling...

2626222, haha
Posted by cbk, Wed Nov-09-11 06:37 PM
"murda muzik" had some flashes of stuff that kept me interested--e.g. that alchemist song with kool g. rap. i kindly disliked the majority of that album though.

but going into "infamy" i thought, "man, i can't WAIT to see what kind of fire P is gonna give us coming off of 'the takeover'! he's gonna be motivated and take that crown back!!"

nuthin.

no matter how much positive attention "return of the mac" and that other P solo got, it wasn't enough for me after MM and infamy.

damn shame.
2626235, you know how you kinda 'don't mind' when shit gets stolen?
Posted by disco dj, Wed Nov-09-11 06:50 PM
yeah. My cousin was in my car, and I left "Return of the Mac" on the seat...right where I knew he'd be sitting...with a 5 Dollar bill taped to it.

Me: "Man...I hope nothing EVER happens to this Prodigy album...it's so amazingly awesome that I'll NEVER stop listening to it!!!"

He didn't bite.

2626238, still not worth it??? too funny
Posted by cbk, Wed Nov-09-11 06:58 PM
2626516, boooooooooooooooooooo, enwurd, boo.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Nov-10-11 12:43 PM
2627256, that shit was turrible, and you know it, Kramer...
Posted by disco dj, Sat Nov-12-11 02:27 PM
2627647, i'm the one who dubbed you a copy!!
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Nov-14-11 09:08 AM
i love it. *still on the Prodigy/Mobb Deep bandwagon*
2627577, I'm glad someone else said this...
Posted by unohoo, Sun Nov-13-11 11:45 PM
...I thought I was the only one that thought ROTM sucked, because the consensus around here seems to be that it was great.

That said, I still fuck with Mobb Deep. Free Agents and Amerikkaz Nightmare worked for me.
2627649, Amerikkkaz Nightmare was dope.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Nov-14-11 09:12 AM

>That said, I still fuck with Mobb Deep. Free Agents and
>Amerikkaz Nightmare worked for me.

the bonus disc for Free Agents was better than the actual disc.

>...I thought I was the only one that thought ROTM sucked,
>because the consensus around here seems to be that it was
>great.

i still love ROTM. Blood Money had some solid joints on it, but i didn't hear it until way after it came out.
2626102, Dr. Dre has gotten under my skin...
Posted by hardliner1, Wed Nov-09-11 04:15 PM
...I've been waiting for Detox since I finished college, so I'm kinda done waitin'. I know this isn't exactly what you all are discussing, but I think when an artist goes on a lifelong hiatus from his/her fans only leaving a sprinkle here and there, you become no longer interested in whatever it is you anticipated.

There are a lot of albums that leave you sour. Like some of you, Things Fall Apart was not great to me. And Electric Circus was my straw with Common. But you know what? A lotta artists f**k up. If I gave up on Nas after Nastradamus, I'd be one lonely hip-hopper. If you're a true fan of their work, you'll stay loyal...just not always content with what they put out.
2626244, Don't worry
Posted by dalecooper, Wed Nov-09-11 07:09 PM
Dre will fit perfectly into this post once "Detox" drops.
2626105, Busta Rhymes - It Ain't Safe No More
Posted by soulsupreme, Wed Nov-09-11 04:21 PM
I still check for the occasional single or jay dee produced joint but as far as albums I just don't care anymore.

2626108, relapse
Posted by hammam, Wed Nov-09-11 04:22 PM
and curtis
2626179, None Really Cause I Still Check
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Nov-09-11 05:48 PM
The only artists I don't check for is the ones that I didn't like from the beginning, but once in a while I'll peep out a tune or two by those kats as well just cause, I'm open to hear something if I think it might be worth a listen.

2626197, I'm gonna cop that last Jamiroquai outta loyalty.
Posted by disco dj, Wed Nov-09-11 06:14 PM
but yeah...I was straight after "A Funk Oddysey". To be fair, "Dynamite" was pretty damned good, but as far as "blind, day-it-came-out" purchases? Jamiroquai doesn't really top that list anymore...

I quit *waiting* for new JMQI shit between "AFO" and "Dynomite"...

( and judging by the singles I heard from the "Dust Light..." album? it ain't too good...)

2626227, last Jamiroquai album I bought was Dynamite :(
Posted by soulsupreme, Wed Nov-09-11 06:39 PM
>but yeah...I was straight after "A Funk Oddysey". To be fair,
>"Dynamite" was pretty damned good, but as far as "blind,
>day-it-came-out" purchases? Jamiroquai doesn't really top that
>list anymore...

His shit ain't poppin' like that no more.
>
>
>I quit *waiting* for new JMQI shit between "AFO" and
>"Dynomite"...
>
>
>( and judging by the singles I heard from the "Dust Light..."
>album? it ain't too good...)

RDLS has a few joints like "White Knuckle Ride" and "She's a Fast Persuader" but overall I'm missing the upright bass and funk from Stuart Zender in theeeee worst way.
>
>
>

2626236, I one of the few people who actually LIKED "Dynamite"...
Posted by disco dj, Wed Nov-09-11 06:51 PM
but as Harriet Wheeler once said:

"here's where the story ends..."

2626210, Jay-Z-Kingdom Come
Posted by smooth va, Wed Nov-09-11 06:29 PM
after this, I don't really listen to anything post Black album.
2626253, Street Hop
Posted by LES, Wed Nov-09-11 07:16 PM
Black Album to a degree
Battle of the Sexes
Last 2 Walk
Encore
2626255, DMX - And then there was X. I thought it was cool-decent
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Nov-09-11 07:18 PM
But I just lost interest in him for some reason
2626373, I stayed on until Grand Champ,
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Nov-10-11 01:24 AM
"And Then There Was..." was the beginning of the end though. Then all the drug shit, it's like, this much bad shit should not be happening to one person, unless they're bringing it on themselves.
2626274, RE: Albums that made you stop checking for an artist/act
Posted by da_illest_one, Wed Nov-09-11 07:52 PM
DMX - Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood
Eminem - Relapse
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV
Asher Roth - Asleep In the Bread Aisle
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Van Hunt - What Were You Hoping For?
Georgia Anne Muldrow - Umsindo
Slum Village - Detroit Deli

On The Lookout 4:
some new music. WTF is going on this year?
2626343, Tricky- Blowback
Posted by AlBundy, Wed Nov-09-11 10:32 PM
2626490, the muggs and dame grease one for me
Posted by cbk, Thu Nov-10-11 11:40 AM
i was thinking about going back and checking out his later stuff, but now i'm hesitant, i guess.
2627538, "Angels w/ Dirty Faces" was the end of the line for me.
Posted by PierreOrdinaire, Sun Nov-13-11 10:11 PM
2626356, I can't really help but keep checking unless artists disco gets crazy
Posted by Nodima, Wed Nov-09-11 11:03 PM
massive (looks at Myka 9, Prince types) but there are albums that have definitely made me feel like there's nothing an artist can do to make me like them as much as I used to anymore.

Eminem - Recovery (drained whatever small hope Relapse gave me forever)
Alicia Keys - whatever her last album was called, everything good about her was pretty much dead
Wiz Khalifa - Rolling Papers (to be fair I thought everything else he did besides Kush&OJ sucked too, but that tape was ROCKIN)
Method Man - Tical 0 or whatever the fuck that mess was called
Hold Steady - Stay Positive (this is an instance where I didn't even know they've released more albums, apparently two)

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook
2626359, Illmatic
Posted by Yadgyu, Wed Nov-09-11 11:12 PM
Nas lost.
2626375, Ludacris - Release Therapy
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Nov-10-11 01:34 AM
I think for people from Atlanta around my age, Luda feels like a close friend, since he was a radio personality that I'd been listening to since he was an intern. He just makes shittacular albums. His amazing guest features make his albums seem even more shitty.

Some other ones, just looking at my CD collection from my seat....

Whatever was the Ginuwine album after 100%, because there wasn't any Timbo production on there.

The first non-Bad Boy 112 album.

50's Curtis album.

Amerie's Touch album. I found I couldn't take a whole album of hers.

I don't really ever wanna hear another full Bone Thugs n Harmony album.

No more Chamillionaire albums or mixtapes.

No more Kelis albums if she's not gonna work with Pharrell or someone interesting.

I don't wanna hear Pimp C or Bun B solo again. It's evident when they don't have each other to play off of.
2627580, Sad but true.
Posted by unohoo, Sun Nov-13-11 11:49 PM

>I don't wanna hear Pimp C or Bun B solo again. It's evident
>when they don't have each other to play off of.

I stopped after the first Trill album.
2626383, Street's Disciple, Kingdom Come, Zooropa, The Fragile
Posted by AZ, Thu Nov-10-11 02:03 AM

2626430, Malpractice by Redman
Posted by mathmagic, Thu Nov-10-11 09:20 AM
2626433, that album as a whole was incredible amounts of doo-doo.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Nov-10-11 09:23 AM
2626442, Doc's the Game
Posted by AnonymousCoward, Thu Nov-10-11 09:39 AM
Say what you will, but coming on the heels of Muddy Waters, I thought that LP was trash.
2626518, I thought that album was disappointing as well.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Nov-10-11 12:45 PM
>Say what you will, but coming on the heels of Muddy Waters, I
>thought that LP was trash.

mostly because of production, even though the album was still pretty damn funny ("BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUCK YOOOOOOOOOOU" and the Sooperman Lover song with the funny-ass beat)
2626519, it was da prelude to da poo poo. n/m.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Nov-10-11 12:55 PM
2626517, that joint was dreadful.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Nov-10-11 12:44 PM
2627319, Agreed!
Posted by BSharp, Sat Nov-12-11 04:26 PM
He'd totally jumped the shark by then. Docs Da Name was pretty crummy too, and there were some okay joints on both of them, but the magic was gone. Unfortunately, the magic in his lyricism and delivery had left by the time he attempted a comeback.

He's still one of the all-time greats, though. Without a doubt.
2627622, I forgot it existed until you posted it
Posted by theBIGguy, Mon Nov-14-11 06:38 AM
I played it twice, never finished it once.

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.-Tyler Durden
2626443, immobilarity
Posted by tex, Thu Nov-10-11 09:40 AM

rosemary's babydaddy
2626498, 808s and Heartbreak. Game Theory. Finding Forever.
Posted by CherNic, Thu Nov-10-11 11:55 AM
2626740, WTF @ Game Theory
Posted by amplifya7, Fri Nov-11-11 01:34 AM
2627442, Lol i dont think I got through it
Posted by CherNic, Sun Nov-13-11 11:52 AM
And I haven't listened to a Roots album since
2626530, Surprised there aren't more Universal Mind Control votes.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Nov-10-11 01:31 PM

the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.
2626648, RE: Most of us stopped at Finding Forever.
Posted by Austin, Thu Nov-10-11 08:55 PM
~Austin
2627311, Same here!
Posted by Ketchums, Sat Nov-12-11 04:08 PM
I remember I bought UMC on the Zune marketplace for $1, that was when they were first launching. I bumped that shit front the back once, said "What the fuck?" (literally, out loud, by myself) and gave it another spin to make sure I wasn't trippin'. Never listened again; would've rather spent that $1 on a double cheeseburger.

People hate Finding Forever, but I fuck with that album tough. At least that had great records like Black Maybe, Start The Show, etc. UMC had nothing, IMO.
2626537, after gutter rainbows i'm not chekcing kweli like i used to...
Posted by Hellyeah, Thu Nov-10-11 01:51 PM
blu...stopped caring about him 3 wack/unofficial/unmastered lps ago

and a bunch of west coast veterans have been dropping nothing but garbage recently so yeah...i'm not checking for them anymore

still i feel like i'm giving these artists way too many chances...lol
2626546, i hopped off after Quality.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Nov-10-11 02:06 PM
2626549, Finding Forever, Elephunk, X&Y, Trinity: PPF
Posted by FortifiedLive, Thu Nov-10-11 02:13 PM
2626575, i don't understand the general dislike for Finding Forever
Posted by mathmagic, Thu Nov-10-11 03:27 PM
2626577, I don't think it was a 'bad' album
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Nov-10-11 03:33 PM
but it kinda just showed that Common really wasn't going to be doing this "rapping" thing for much longer
2626581, You're right, not "bad" but...
Posted by Brew, Thu Nov-10-11 03:54 PM
he got lazy and it showed. Had it's moments but it was clear his focus was elsewhere.
2626586, it was the point where he went dumbed-down fully. that SAG card line...
Posted by FortifiedLive, Thu Nov-10-11 04:11 PM
and that Jennifer Aniston line was the death of him in my eyes.
2627321, Those two lyrics define modern Common for me...
Posted by BSharp, Sat Nov-12-11 04:29 PM
...and he is one of my top 5 all time.

I just stopped caring after I heard those two lines.

But that album *was* pretty good. I liked it a lot better than Be, believe it or not.
2627635, lol, 2 lines don't define an MC
Posted by mathmagic, Mon Nov-14-11 08:01 AM
its just rap music fellas, geez.
2627675, those were just examples. the album is filled with them.
Posted by FortifiedLive, Mon Nov-14-11 11:17 AM
and the fact that he followed this up with UMC just proved it was a precursor to complete cornball status.
2626780, T.I.'s No Mercy
Posted by kevb, Fri Nov-11-11 05:48 AM
I haven't heard any of his new shit yet. I will eventually, but he lost me with that piece of buffalo.
2627316, Yeah, I lost a lot of faith in Tip w/that album.
Posted by Ketchums, Sat Nov-12-11 04:11 PM
I understand they just rushed something out to eat off of before he went back to prison, but still, that was disgustingly bad. Still boggles my mind that they didn't just put out a greatest hits album instead - would've done numbers, less money to spend, they could've added 1-2 new tracks as bonuses, and IMO, Tip arguably has the best singles catalog of any rap artist.

Hopefully the new shit is dope though. He's been sounding hungry on what I've heard him on recently.
2627176, mop - foundation....i'm done with them...
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Nov-12-11 05:46 AM
2627652, that joint was mad forgettable.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Nov-14-11 09:17 AM
they have a new album coming out really soon, and i barely care. SMH.
2627239, Mosaic Thump.
Posted by SoWhat, Sat Nov-12-11 01:02 PM
i was disappointed by Stakes Is High, but i gave them another shot w/Mosaic Thump. it was their last.
2627258, You should give "Bionix" a listen. It made me check for 'em again.
Posted by disco dj, Sat Nov-12-11 02:30 PM

2627278, RE: And Bionix has aged well.
Posted by Austin, Sat Nov-12-11 03:01 PM
Mosaic Thump was pretty bland, but besides a couple tracks on Bionix, it's a really solid back to basics album.

And it has 'Trying People.' Automatic win.

~Austin
2627330, Amen to this. I thought I was the only DeLa fan who hated Stakes
Posted by AnonymousCoward, Sat Nov-12-11 04:49 PM
2627336, Your'e not....
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Sat Nov-12-11 05:12 PM
Well, in the context of Hip-Hop as a whole, I didn't hate it but in the context of the musical universe that De La Soul had created for themselves, it was so underwhelming it's not even funny... NOTHING I like about that band except some solid emceeing is there to be found, terribly dull record...
2627659, i kinda liked it, man (c) De La Is Dead
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Mon Nov-14-11 09:35 AM
it hasn't aged that well though. i was listening to it recently and couldn't wait for it to go off.
2627324, Thank god I didn't stop checking for Q-Tip...
Posted by BSharp, Sat Nov-12-11 04:31 PM
...after those wack ass "Kamaal the Abstract" and "Live at the Renaissance" demos.

"The Renaissance" is one of the best hip hop albums of the past decade IMO. Love that shit.
2627325, and people REFUSE to acknowledge it's greatness...
Posted by disco dj, Sat Nov-12-11 04:32 PM

>"The Renaissance" is one of the best hip hop albums of the
>past decade IMO. Love that shit.

Yep. I agree one hundred percent.

2627391, RE: Just last week, I said even less. . .
Posted by Austin, Sat Nov-12-11 09:40 PM
. . .and these flip-flopping mofos tried to take me to task for it:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2621948&mesg_id=2621948&listing_type=search#2622057

So be careful there, Mr. Haley.

~Austin
2627438, well everyone knows that Lessonites are insane.
Posted by disco dj, Sun Nov-13-11 11:39 AM
2627507, RE: and people REFUSE to acknowledge it's greatness...
Posted by boyd, Sun Nov-13-11 07:44 PM
>
>>"The Renaissance" is one of the best hip hop albums of the
>>past decade IMO. Love that shit.
>
>
>Yep. I agree one hundred percent.
>
>
>

totally in agreement. if people cant hear the beauty of that album
their ears are full of shit
2627807, Co-sign
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Nov-14-11 06:37 PM
The Renaissance was my favorite album the year it came out. It is basically the solo album Q-Tip/Tribe fans have been waiting for from him all along.

That Kamaal the Abstract album, although well made, was just not my style. Maybe I'll revisit it if I remember and I am in the mood, but my musical AD/HD prevents me from playing it all the way through.. It's not that it's bad, I just don't have the patience to let the songs ride out.

White Bronco.
2627534, Year of The Dog... Again
Posted by EyE C, Sun Nov-13-11 09:48 PM
2627547, Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Sun Nov-13-11 10:50 PM
I first heard it because my boy talked me into buying it for him back in like '96 but i didn't get what was so fly about it until like 3 months ago. i had bought the Black Album so that was more of my intro to Jay-Z than Reasonable Doubt, but I went all those years doubting the hype.

I was a big Chemical Brother's fan until Come With Us and i thought they fell off with that album...until I heard it a couple of years later and it was like listening to a completely different album. now i feel the same way about the Push the Button album.

I also stopped following De La after the Bionix album. i think i'm gonna have to give it another go, if only for the Grind Date.
2627623, the strokes - first impressions of earth
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:24 AM
2627624, ghostface - the big doe rehab
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:24 AM
2627625, dj shadow - the outsider
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:25 AM
2627626, massive attack - 100th window
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:25 AM
2627628, bjork - volta
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:27 AM
2627629, sufjan stevens - the age of adz
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:28 AM
2627630, cypress hill - skull & bones
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:28 AM
2627631, cormega - born & raised
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:29 AM
2627632, interpol - our love to admire
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:29 AM
2627633, tv on the radio - nine pieces of light
Posted by d-bwoyFLOW, Mon Nov-14-11 07:30 AM
(or whateva the fuck that weedplate wuz called)
2627640, Killah Priest - View From Masada
Posted by connectpoliticditto, Mon Nov-14-11 08:20 AM
Heavy Mental was my shit, and I was really disappointed w/ this album. Haven't fucked with KP since.
2627670, GOBLIN
Posted by spew120, Mon Nov-14-11 10:43 AM