Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2624595&mesg_id=2769040
2769040, RE: We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Fri Jan-11-13 02:04 PM
>No disrespect, but a lot of that reads as some crotchety old
>man "back in my day..." shit.
>
>Times have changed breh.
>
>And you say these don't kids work, yet when I talk to young
>producers, they're the ones making beats all day and night,
>and truth be told, most of the old heads don't seem to be
>grinding (many have other life obligations though, so I don't
>blame them) at all anymore.

Wrong.

They're still using presets, they don't take the time to learn how to make their own sounds, so a lot of their shit sounds the same. They're still using ready-made drum loops and shit like that, so while yeah they may be making beats all the time, the method they're using is cookie-cutter at best.

You're right though: Times have changed... But that doesn't mean that times have changed for the better.

Myself, I take advantage of it by leveraging the technology to do things I used to do with my old setup, but within the space of my PC and laptop. I still make music the same way I used to: programming synths, chopping samples by ear, and whatnot. I just do it from within FL Studio or Cubase instead of with a room full of hardware.

These new cats can't tell you what an oscillator is or modulation routing, but they can tell you that so-and-so used the "Trap Muzik" patch in Beetmaker VST on a track on Jeezy's last mixtape.

"Newer" doesn't always mean "better", and that's a concept that cats like you fail to grasp.
---------------------------

I miss Tha D... But I'll never move back there.

R.I.P. Disco D