Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI think producers gave in to the necessary evil
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2624595&mesg_id=2659603
2659603, I think producers gave in to the necessary evil
Posted by Alphabet, Wed Feb-08-12 09:49 PM
of "free mixtapes/street albums/something for my fans to hold them over/Friday Night Leak Series, whatever you want to call em now"...format

When this first broke hard a couple years ago, as far as big name producers having their tracks wind up on 'some free throwaway shit' they weren't with it, and I know they had to feel some type of way about it.

But now, what are you gonna do?..the free street/downloadable album IS the dominate outlet of hip-hop music now, it's too late to go back now.

I guess the only thing those former Superproducers have now is experience in the game, and they can flip that into being more traditional producers in the Dr. Dre frame of thinking,
but from an artist standpoint, it really makes no sense to pay crazy prices for 'some beat', even if it is bangin..these days you can get that from anywhere.

Also cats are more privy and aware about building a sound, so alot of times they dance with the one they came with i.e. that producer thats been with them from the start when said artist was local building that brand/sound.

AND also, A big factor (probably the biggest)... the majority fans nowadays dont give a fuck WHO made the beat..