Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI fucking LOVE vinyl. Lately I've just been staring at my collection.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2621993&mesg_id=2622540
2622540, I fucking LOVE vinyl. Lately I've just been staring at my collection.
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Nov-01-11 09:07 AM
Nodding my head like "HELL YES" because it's finally getting to the point that I envisioned a few years ago (when I started getting deep into funk/jazz and later prog/psych).

So much history, so many gatefold OG pressings, common LPs, rare LPs, 12" only "extended dance remixes" of a ton of my 80's R&B favorites, promo only 12" remixes (shoutout to anyone else who has the white label for Diamond D's "I'm Outta Here" with the remix), hundreds of connections between my hip-hop 12"s and LPs and the original samples, the LEGENDS crates filled with partial discographies (always on the lookout) for Isaac Hayes, James Brown, Kool & The Gang, Michael Jackson, The Ohio Players, and Parliament/Funkadelic, the J Dilla original samples crates (well over 200 LPs now).....

Granted, this collection gets me hype because I'm a DJ and I like to create seamless sets.....but a casual listener could still walk into my record room with ONE turntable and be set for months, maybe years.

You get overwhelmed looking at MP3 lists, or at least I do. Actually, I scan through my iPod every other day thinking "I've heard all this shit before." I'm not a fan of the shuffle (maybe because I'm a DJ, maybe because I enjoy cohesive albums/sets), which so many people champion. I just never enjoyed the idea of hearing Patrice Rushen followed by Soft Machine followed by The Notorious BIG followed by Agent K followed by Souls Of Mischief. Give me an album.

Vinyl is, and always will be, the shit.*

*until I move from my condo into a house and I have 3,000 pieces of wax to move