Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis is going to be EPIC!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2620154&mesg_id=2634665
2634665, This is going to be EPIC!!!
Posted by ReZilYaVic, Thu Dec-01-11 04:23 PM
FULL READ: http://pitchfork.com/news/44776-uestlove-talks-michele-bachmann-fiasco-new-dangelo-album/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+PitchforkLatestNews+%28Pitchfork:+Latest+News%29

The only one who was not too happy with the result was D'Angelo. He was praying I got suspended for six months or a year. He was like, "You know what that means right? That means you're going to go on tour with me, man! We're gonna be together again!" I was like, "Welcome to the real world: People don't get suspended for a year, they get fired."

"The album is pretty much 97% done. At best, it will go down in the Smile/There's a Riot Goin' On/Miles Davis' On the Corner category."

Pitchfork: Is that D'Angelo tour a real thing?

?: It's an extremely real thing. Pino Palladino just committed. My worst nightmare Chris Dave is his drummer-- you need the most dangerous drummer alive on that tour. I fear the magic those two are going to make.

Pitchfork: So that's happening next year?

?: He goes to Europe in January. The album is pretty much 97% done. He's just finishing his lyrics now. He needs somebody to smack him and take the record away from him because it's pretty much finished. But I know he must turn this record in like three days before Christmas and that his first show is in Europe, and that he's going to do a whole bunch. They even named it the Occupy Music Tour, so I know they're serious about it.

For all intents and purposes, this album is the black version of Smile-- at best, it will go down in the Smile/There's a Riot Goin' On/Miles Davis' On the Corner category. That's what I'm hoping for. There's stuff on there I was amazed at, like new music patches I've never heard before. I'd ask him, "What kind of keyboard is that?" I thought it was some old vintage thing. But he builds his own patches.

One song we worked on called "Charade" has this trombone patch that he re-EQ'd and then put through an envelope filter and then added a vibraphone noise on top and made a whole new patch out of it. He's the only person I know that takes a Herbie Hancock approach, or Malcolm Cecil and Robert Margouleff-- the two musician/engineers who programmed all of Stevie Wonder's genius-period stuff-- approach. That's the last time I ever heard of somebody building patches. We'll see if history is kind to it.