Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWe were considered "the youth", also...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2617122&mesg_id=2617615
2617615, We were considered "the youth", also...
Posted by A Cage For Scatterbrain, Thu Oct-20-11 02:10 PM
Speaking as a fellow "old head", I never felt the youth lacked taste. You can't have a foundation as to what would be considered in good taste if you were never spoon fed what's considered good. You have to think about why you enjoy the music that you do, what was available to you that shaped what you like, and how that music was given to you. There was a period when music was straight garbage. I mean, we had garbage when we were growing up, also (don't forget that), but we had still had access to the good stuff. We still had people wanting to teach us about good music, and how to create good music. You have to remember, there wasn't a balance at one point. That crack era effected is in sooooo many ways. Do you remember when the industry was throwing out tons of money to whoever sounded like that new hot thing (which was garbage), so you had a flood of... just... It was BAD at one point. So there is a generation of children that grew up listening to that garbage (because just like when we were growing up), it's always about what's popular on the radio (and video). The problem was they weren't exposed to much else AND they didn't have enough people around to tell them that the garbage they were listening to was garbage and that there were alternatives. Plus, funds were cut off in schools which lead to music programs getting shut down. Then you add them growing up in the computer age (pro-tools, various music creating software), coupled with not really learning music theory and things of that nature. I can go on and on about this. But bottom line, kids are going to be kids, and they're only going to learn from what they are exposed to, for the most part. Luckily things got so bad musically, people started recognizing what happened, and kids have that balance again AND people are getting to the kids about what's considered good music. If i run into someone who doesn't know any better, I try my BEST to steer them in the right direction. Just telling them what they listen to sucks doesn't help at all...