Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: id take Stevie's run over Prince's easily
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2616395&mesg_id=2620543
2620543, RE: id take Stevie's run over Prince's easily
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Oct-27-11 01:05 AM
those ain't great songs IMO. 777-9311 is a Jam but it ain't a Great song big difference. sounds good and tight for its time. same with nasty girl. now Rick James wrote a stronger song called "In my house" for the Mary Jane girls and he did a good tight and strong groove number for the Mary Jane Girls called "All Night Long" big difference.

"Stand back" is a cool keyboard based cut which sounds like a 2nd to 3rd cousin of "Little Corvette" but it ain't no classic song.

"glamorous Life" a really good song, not great except in Princeville,Kool-Aid Usa,

"Maniac Monday" Ill give you it still holds up and still works.

but them other songs were strickly groove and Beats not Great songs.

Prince is not a Great Songwriter not by any stretch, but he is a Great Overall Artist when you add up the sum of parts which is to say even if you are a Great Artist you can have your short comings and he was always more known for sound than any one part.

because Prince ain't never showed me a whole lot as a Songwriter per se. but when you combine his musical adventures and a Groove or vamp in place he makes it work,however purely as one thing? naw and to prove my point what is the last Great song he has written in the last 20 plus years? do show and tell please?

Great artist for a career on a whole, however never ever a stand out in any one thing.