Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: well....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2616395&mesg_id=2617503
2617503, RE: well....
Posted by murph71, Thu Oct-20-11 10:02 AM
>The fact that Prince was a control freak and wouldn't allow
>those guys to play on the record doesn't mean he owns the band
>and had the right to fire those cats.
>The deal was Morris gave him Partyup and Prince would help him
>get a band and a deal
>Plain and simple
>To me...The George and Bootsy analogy is perfect
>Who gave Bootsy that persona? George
>Who named the band...the rubber band? George
>Who wrote most of the lyrics or came up w the concepts?
>George

Who played and came up with most of the "music"? Bootsy and his band...Yep, George def. wrote and helped with the lyrics, concepts and look....But Bootsy was playing those instruments...

Bootsy's brother Catfish was playing his instrument and so on and so forth...Bootsy's Rubberband was more of a collaboration between George and Bootsy like most of the P-Funk off-shoots....That's what made P-Funk so cool...George, artistically, was no task master...

The Time?

It was Morris singing Prince's music on record...It was Morris singing over instruments that Prince (and Dez and Lisa on two occasions) played...Whether or not you find this to be Prince being a puppet master or just being a asshole taskmaster is moot in this particular debate when comparing him to George and Bootsy's working relationship...

>Who got Bootsy the contract? George
>Who put the band together? Bootsy
>Who "secretly" played on Disco Lady? Bootsy and nem...did they
>get the can? Nope

Again...George treated P Funk more like a collaboration, Rev....That's different than what Prince did with the Time...waaaay different...You can count on one hand the moments Prince allowed the Time band members to write their own songs on those first three Time albums (Jesse---"Jungle Love" comes to mind)...George was ALWAYS giving free reign to his musicians to create...Prince? Not so much...

>Sounds familiar to me sans the maniac instruement
>playing....besides Morris wasn't just some front. He says that
>in the dvd

LOL...Going by all the books written about Prince and interviews done about Prince's handling of the Time, I would say otherwise...I mean, why do you think Morris wanted out of the Time? Prince wasn't letting him do what Morris thought he was capable of doing, which was being a true leader of The Time...Writing his own songs...Coming up with his own concepts...Morris wasn't able to do so...So Morris wanted out...

>
>U see where I'm going with this..
>I love Prince as a musician and artist and will always support
>him
>With that said, I refuse to distill his personal and business
>decisions with people...it is what it is....
>
>Masters ain't got nothing to do with it....if that was the
>case, why wouldn't the fellas say that? It would be an easier
>pill to swallow.
>
>Its prince being prince and to me that's being a
>douchebag....u may disagree and that's right on to me.
>
>In the end like we've said before, its aout celebrating these
>7 brothers at the moment...

It is about celebrating the brothers....But one thing I'm not going to partake in is revisionist history...

I'll say it again...The triumph of the new Time album is they were FINALLY able to get from under the iron hand of you know who....Because you know who had such an immense say over how the group sounded and looked...You know who was the one running the show...

So when an album like this comes out you smile for Jimmy and the guys...Because they proved that as a band they could show the goods without you know who...

To me, they get a standing ovation for that...Because the music is damn good after 20 plus years...

That's the triumph...