Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: lemme put a point on it...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2616395&mesg_id=2617036
2617036, RE: lemme put a point on it...
Posted by murph71, Wed Oct-19-11 08:02 AM
>Prince still brings it live
>I've been to almost every tour and if not seen it on vid
>With that said, his shows post 2004 have been predictable for
>me
>Give or take a few surprises
>The shows pretty much the same
>The current band's a lot better than the 3121 lineup
>However....
>Shelby and the girls need less spotlight
>Andy Allo needs to go
>Kill the "old school...let me perform other folks songs"
>shtick..
>Also, his band has 0 personality
>Good musicians? Yes
>Which leads me to why the Time (original 7) would hold their
>own with the current prince stage show imho
>Jesse jimmy terry monte bean morris and jerome as a unit ain't
>nothing to be played with live
>And you can believe he knows that
>And if there ever was a tour or show with them on the same
>bill, best believe there would be "tweaks".
>
>
>Now if this was 86 87 or 88....it would be a different story

Hey...different strokes....Just understand that most critics and fans don't share your view...And trust, I know what Jam and the guys bring to the table when it comes to the stage...

But I think you are jumping off to some other shit....Prince is in his 50's...The guys in the Time are in their 50's...Morris and the fellas should and can be proud that they made a good album when a lot of people thought it would be mediocre at best after hearing those snippets...To me that's the true triumph. Those guys are showing the world that beyond being a great concert band, they can come together as a group and record some pretty cool music...And you won't find a bigger fan in myself as someone that's truly proud of the boys...

But I think there has been some revisionist history at play here...
The Time essentially = Prince...To me, the story that should be celebrated is The Time in 2011 have been able to make a strong, confident album on their own terms without the Purple dude...But we can't lose sight of that fact that Prince literally created the sound, look, swagger, and musical blueprint of the Time...

We can celebrate this Time album without trying to make Prince out to be some washed up scrub...