Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMe and my homeboy was discussin' Le...from a DC perspective
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2614665&mesg_id=2614893
2614893, Me and my homeboy was discussin' Le...from a DC perspective
Posted by RaphaelSoulLee, Fri Oct-14-11 03:07 PM
Conversation was as follows:

Him: What you think about the Eleven One Eleven Mixtape

Me:

Aye, lots to talk about. First, thanks for blessing me and da wiz wit' some music, young! I'm thoroughly enjoyin' it. Ok, so Eleven one Eleven is good. Let's start with what I like about it. They far outweigh the less salient points. Okay, so THIS nigga can really rap. He's proven it over an over, as we DC niggas have to prove it more so than any other region seems to have to.

You can see how his style has significantly grown from his earlier days, from when they just considered him a go-go rapper. Truthfully, he's been surpassed that for me, but I'm really glad he's carvin' out a niche for DC. He be saying shit that only we'd recognize.

You can see that he has the machine behind'm, but I think that he's losing some of his organic styling....that's not an altogether bad thing. I mean shit, he gotta grow, right? He makes up for it in his Rich Harrison-like percussive tracks. I still prefer more of that Soul vibe, but that's just me....and it's my handle, to boot. Furthermore, you can"t please everyone, nor keep the same vibe all the time.....so I understand that.

Also, I'm such a fan of his Black Thought/b-boy flow (that's the old school rapper in me). He goes in on Drums n Shit. Other standouts for me is Podium w/Black Cobain...that was nice. Fairytales is funny as shit. I love the feel of Pick 6....that felt good. Samples n Shit gives the soulful feel.

He's got great punchlines, but here's my concern; how long is he gonna use sports punchlines? I'm not talkin' just about Pick 6, Barry Sanders, and Varsity Blues. I'm talkin' about all throughout this project and the last few. I kinda liken it to how The Game name drops in every song. I guess every rapper has their own thing *shrugs*. I'm concerned that he's gonna limit his subject matter, after while. Shit though...pretty hard to re-invent the wheel.

Having said all of this, I like More about Nothing better. It's more eclectic. Maybe not as polished, or shit, maybe so. Definitely more organic IMO.

Anyway, I hope u found my evaluation to be fair.