Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHe still has some joints, but I agree that the direction is kinda weak
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2614665&mesg_id=2614706
2614706, He still has some joints, but I agree that the direction is kinda weak
Posted by CMcMurtry, Fri Oct-14-11 09:33 AM
The Wale songs I fuck with are uptempo joints with some clever lyrics and a cool hook, ala "My Sweetie" or "Award Tour" off the first LP. Shit like "Nike Boots" or the Justice joint. But I feel like those tracks, which at one point were sort of his trademark, are now becoming few and far between. That new mixtape has a couple ("Fuck You" is my jam right now) and predictably, they're the best songs on the album.

And sometimes Wale tries to be too smart for his own good. He's sort of like Kanye in that when he tries to get a little too ambitious with his concepts, he often falls flat on his face.

The slow, R&Bish joints he's doing now are painful. But the track with Jeremih is a huge hit, something like #4 on either Rhythmic or Urban radio in terms of spins, so I suspect that will be the lane he moves in now. Hell, that next single, the one with Miguel, is pretty part Pt. 2 of that shit, and it's equally awful.