Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: As far as overrall artistry, yes he is...lyrical skills, commercial
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2613922&mesg_id=2619146
2619146, RE: As far as overrall artistry, yes he is...lyrical skills, commercial
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Oct-24-11 04:40 PM
>Live Performer=Yes

>Influence=Good Debate
"He is widely considered to be one of the most influential and skilled MC's in Hip Hop."

Big Daddy Kane is regarded as one of the most influential and skilled golden age rappers. MTV put him at *No. 7* in their Greatest MCs Of All Time list, he is placed at *No.4* in Kool Moe Dee’s book There's A God On The Mic: The True 50 Greatest MCs, {and RZA lists him as one of his Top 5 best MCs.} Allmusic says, “his best material ranks among the finest hip-hop of its era, and his sex-drenched persona was enormously influential on countless future would-be players”, and describes him as, “an enormously talented battle MC”, “one of rap's major talents”, refers to his, “near-peerless technique” ” and “first-rate technique and rhyming skills” and says he “had the sheer verbal facility and razor-clean dexterity to ambush any MC and exhilarate anyone who witnessed or heard him perform”. Kool Moe Dee describes him as “one of the most imitated emcees ever in the game” and “one of the true greatest emcees ever”, and Ice-T says:

"To me, Big Daddy Kane is still today one of the best rappers. I would put Big Daddy Kane against any rapper in a battle. Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, any of them. I could take 'Raw' right now and put it up against any record . Kane is one of the most incredible lyricists… and he will devour you on the mic. I don't want to try to out-rap Big Daddy Kane. Big Daddy Kane can rap circles around cats".

>Success......ummm....NO SIR...what are you talking about?

the thing with a lot Nas' commercial material according to his most ardent die hard fans is that Nasir seemed to be deviating from his musical standard he set w/Illmatic, which was wasn't a commercial success AT ALL, when he started making the material that was getting radio airplay. His best albums, w/the exception of 'Stillmatic,' weren't really commercially successful....

>BDK is better on stage...no debate there
>
>Nas=better LP's, better songs, bigger overall commercial
>impact, longer as a relevant MC. Kane relevant 88-93 (about
>5-6 years but is respected now and can perform still) Nas
>1993-Present (peak 1994-2002..about 8 years)

fam, Nas career hit a serious slump in the eyes of many post Illmatic. Sure, the CDs after Illmatic had some dope tracks on them and they did move units but as far as the overall albums they were far from his best material...which is why many regard the beef w/Jay as resurrecting his career. So that timelime you laid out doesn't tell the whole story. There were equally as many misses as there were hits in his discography during that time period.
>
>Kane=better flow
>Nas =better lyrics
>
>Kane=more natural talent .. (maybe)
>Nas..overall a better Hip Hop Legend 2 me...

nope, I disagree...and the above paragraph I posted w/various (legendary) MCs declaring Kane's place in the pantheon of great HipHop MCs begs to differ w/your assessment of which of the two is more of a HipHop legend...I love Nas and although I think Kane's flow and lyrics were incredible and innovative, I'd still lean towards Nas as far as overall lyricism...but just abt every other metric we used to measure MCs makes me favor Kane as being slightly better, overall.

Also peep this:

"Kane is known for his ability to syncopate over faster hip hop beats, and despite his asthmatic condition he is acknowledged as one of the pioneering masters of fast-rap. His sense of style is renowned and set a number of late-1980s and early-1990s hip hop trends **(high-top fades, velour suits, and four-finger rings)**. The backronym "King Asiatic Nobody's Equal" is often applied to his moniker."