Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNu-Metal
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2609437&mesg_id=2611449
2611449, Nu-Metal
Posted by lakai336, Thu Oct-06-11 07:16 AM
was the first kind of rock I ever liked lol. I think it might have been the hip-hop elements in it as far the delivery, lyrics and all that went.

Being Puerto Rican, I didn't get exposed to the most popular American music through my parents. Instead of soul, r and b, what's now considered classic rock, folk or country, My father played salsa all day in the car and at home. So at that time I was exposed to stuff like Hector Lavoe, Willie Colon, Ruben Blades and the like. Though strangely enough, my dad did know a little bit of breakdancing moves and really loved Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight. The majority of major hits in the states also received play in Puerto Rico.

My mother, though also fond of Spanish music, really loved to dance. It's for this reason that she would always play rap/pop radio and didn't care for rock. She loved songs like "Me So Horny" 'cause of the beat and because it was danceable, she never know what the words were lol. She thought "Me so horny" was saying "Me so homey" (apparently she noticed "homey" in a lot of rap songs) until my brothers and I explained it when we were older.

So through hearing my moms radio choices, I grew to love mainstream rap and pop (between the ages of like 5-10) and hated rock. That all changed when Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and Korn came out.

From there I stayed interested in rock and went on to a lot of emo stuff in my younger teenage days (Saves The Day, Brand New, Jimmy Eat World, American Football, etc.).

Finally progressing into the present any kind of rock days, although it's a bit more indie rock than anything else.