Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject1998-2002
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2609437&mesg_id=2610411
2610411, 1998-2002
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Oct-03-11 09:07 PM
Freshman year (98-99): Most of us were on No Limit hard, as well as Ruff Ryders. I actually had two CD cases to go with my (brand new 40 sec shock proof Sony) CD Walkman. One case was ALL No Limit CD's, other was everything else. Some CD's I was into that year:
Ice Cube - War n Peace Vol 1
Mack 10 - The Recipe
Master P - Da Last don (came out in 8th grade)
DMX - Flesh of my flesh
Ruff Ryders - RR Vol. 1
E-40 - The element of surprise
Timbaland - Tim's bio
Outkast - Aquemini
DJ Quik - Rhythmalism
Jay-Z - Vol 2. (really just to hear Jigga what Jigga who, that track was amazing to me then)
Rush Hour 2 sdtk
Eminem - Slim Shady LP
Snoop Dogg - Top Dogg (I remember fast forwarding to Mystikal's verse when I saw the tracklist on the song "Ghetto symphony" and WHOO SHIT MOTHAFUCKA GOT DAMN!!! we thought that verse was the shit!!!!)
Nas - I am (I think folks at my HS still liked Nas more than Jay at this point)

Sophomore year: Cash Money was coming in strong, but I saw them as a fake No Limit. However, I was impressed by Wayne's verses on 400 Degreez and bought "The Block is hot." However, I started to become more into RR than No Limit. Some CD's I was on....
Suga Free & Mausberg - Konnectid
Warren G - I want it all
Lil Wayne - The Block is hot
Kurupt - Streetz is a mutha
Dr. Dre - 2001
DJ Quik - Balance & Options
DMX - And then there was X
Eve - Ruff Ryders First lady
Drag-On - Whatever that shit was called
Funk Flex and Big Kap - The tunnel (shit was great)
Eminem - MMLP
Snoop Dogg Presents: Tha Eastsidaz
Nas - Nastradamus bootleg (Lost tapes now)

Junior year: I started driving, and because the West brought back a lot of heat, I'd say 90% of everything I played that year was West Coast. I still remember the day I heard Eastsidaz "I luv it"....it was on radio, and I missed the 1st two verses, but I said "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!!!!!!!!!" It was back when radio played songs before you could find the MP3, so I only found the Real player version 2 weeks later, and then heard the homie play it in his car a month later. That ended up being the best song ever made in history. Not really, but EVERYBODY in L.A. was blastin that shit the entire year. And I remember how shady (but funny) Suge was for the whole "Dead man walking" by leaking Tha Last meal in CDQ MP3 on Deathrow.com, while putting the DMW album up in shitty Real player so folks could buy it. Production wise, felt like Battlecat was runnin shit for us, along with Fred Wreck.
Albums....
Bad Azz - Personal Business
Snoop Dogg Presents: Doggy's Angels
Kurupt - Space Boogie (and !!!!!!! the first time I heard "On on site" that summer going to work, I literally started laughin when the harpsichord came in)
Jay-Z - The dynasty (Change the game was great, and that remix was !!!!! with DPG on it)
Snoop Dogg - Tha Last meal
DPG 2002
Outkast - Stankonia (and yeah, I'll call before I cum was a BANGER to everybody who had beat in their car)
Musiq Soulchild - Ijuswannasing (one of the only R&B albums I was into)

Senior Year: Might have been the wackest year musically. Half the time, I was just playing individual songs...shit like "Doo rags" on MP3 since it was the high speed download era, and we could just get random songs like it was nothing. Funniest/wildest moment was the homie Greg callin me saying "AYYYY TURN ON THE RADIO!!!!! NAS IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLIN JAY-Z ON THIS NEW SONG!!!!!!!!!" and I turned on and heard Ether, which they played like 5 times in a row.
Albums....
The Wash sdtk
Jay-Z - Blueprint
Jimmy Bones sdtk
Timbaland and Magoo - Risky business
DJ Quik - Under tha influence (really the bootleg that had the original 50 ways and Come 2nyte on it)
Snoop Dogg - Paid the cost to be the boss (Bootleg version, there were actually two of them)
Nas - Stillmatic